+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Croft Phono Integrated vs Creek Evolution 50a

I'm Marc.

Default Croft Phono Integrated vs Creek Evolution 50a

Hi,

I've been looking for an integrated amp to match with a Dual CS 5000 turntable with a Joseph Grado 8MZ, a Creek Evolution 50cd, and Rega RX3s. My price range is around 1000 GBP (1300 euros).

I initially narrowed my choices down to a Rega Elex-R or a Creek Evolution 50a. I preferred the Creek after listening to both paired with the RX3s and the 50cd.

I am ready jump in and buy the Creek but I keep reading great things about the Croft Phono Integrated. Unfortunately, no one sells Croft in Paris, where I live, or anywhere else in France for that matter.

I can order one from the UK to compare head-to-head with the Creek and return it if I still prefer the Creek. Before going through all of that, however, I first wanted to see if anyone has compared these amps in the past? I imagine they sound very different (the Elex-R and the 50a certainly did, though perhaps less so in the phono sections). Or has anyone heard the Croft Phono with RX3s?

As an aside, I considered (without hearing) the Rogue Sphinx but it is above my budget and will physically not fit in the cabinet I'm using so I've put that one aside.

Thanks in advance for any experience you might have.

Marc

I'm Dave.

I have done the Croft v 50A on several occasions and sold the Croft each time. There's nothing wrong with the 50A but it sounds flat and lacklustre in the comparison. It has lots of features, though, which might be useful but for straight out sound appeal, the Croft wins.

IMO, of course.

I'm Marc.

Dave,

Thanks for this reassuring information. I'm not sure I would use all of the other features in the Creek though the remote might be appreciated, particularly if paired with the 50cd. By chance have you compared the Creek with the Elex-R? What was your impression?

Best,

Marc

I'm Dave.

My customers buy both the Elex-r and Croft. Both are excellent but sometimes, customers want facilities which the Croft doesn't have.

You won't go wrong with either.

+ Reply to Thread