+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A super session round at Jimbos

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Jim,

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I did not have the Shure with the NOS stylus set up unfortunately Marco. Alan only heard the Shure /JICO SAS.

I have been impressed with the M55e with NOS Shure stylus but cant go back after listening to the SAS. This combination in my system is truly stunning as Alan found out.
    No worries, mate, and I can't say I'm surprised. However, Jico stylus aside, as I've no doubt that moves things forward nicely, did you perceive a lack of treble extension with the NOS Shure stylus? There certainly isn't any here, inherent limitations of MM cartridges in that area aside.

The At95e sounded pleasant enough but was easily beaten by the Acutex but neither where anywhere as good as the Shure/ SAS or I would say the Shure NOS stylus. But the Ortofon Salsa MC as Alan mentioned took everything to another level beyond the Shure/SAS.
    Yup, I'm not surprised about that. A good MC, partnered properly, will ultimately outperform most MM cartridges in key areas of music reproduction. That's why I use my MCs more often than my MMs - *but* it's nice to have a change sometimes, in order to appreciate what good MMs do well.

If this is a glimpse of what is to come when I get the Denon 301 MC set up in the VPI, like you said in your message, I will be in vinyl heaven!
    You will indeed, mate. As good as the Salsa is, a DL-301 should comfortably outperform it

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Hi Marco,

The Shure with NOS Shure stylus was not lacking in the treble region, it was just less prominent in the way it came across in the mix. This cartridge was richer and meatier sounding than the Shure SAS but the SAS was more explicit and dynamic.

Your description of how the M55e came across was similar to how I perceived it in my system, very musical and allowed you to enjoy the recording in a relaxed way without drawing attention to the 'hifi' aspects

Considering how much I have enjoyed my 2M black, I am still surprised how good this M55e cartridge is. I know some folk may be sceptical having probably used one years ago in lesser systems, this cartridge can certainly stand up to the modern offerings especially when teamed up with the SAS stylus.

I have been reviewing comments across the Internet forums regarding the Denon 301 Mk2 and most are extremely positive. Some folk funny enough have moved on from a 2M black to thus MC and they have commented on exactly some of the shortfalls the 2M has.

Listening to the Shure / JICO SAS has been a revelation and if you look back at Alan's comments he found the same experience as myself , so nice to know it's not just me!

As you found at Marco towers, Alan's amps are truly great products which I have been fortunate to hear a number of times and in development and the KIN or his new phono stage when it's built would be great devices for running a MC cartridge.

As you know I will need to find away to use an MC with my Croft so it will be interesting to see what works best. I have 3 options whirring in my mind. A phono stage with MC facility via Croft line stage, a SUT or a head amp.

Not sure which will work the best so might end up with all 3!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

The Shure with NOS Shure stylus was not lacking in the treble region, it was just less prominent in the way it came across in the mix. This cartridge was richer and meatier sounding than the Shure SAS but the SAS was more explicit and dynamic.
    Cool. That's pretty much exactly how I'd have predicted it

Considering how much I have enjoyed my 2M black, I am still surprised how good this M55e cartridge is. I know some folk may be sceptical having probably used one years ago in lesser systems, this cartridge can certainly stand up to the modern offerings especially when teamed up with the SAS stylus.
    As they say: "You better believe it, bruv!"

I have been reviewing comments across the Internet forums regarding the Denon 301 Mk2 and most are extremely positive. Some folk funny enough have moved on from a 2M black to thus MC and they have commented on exactly some of the shortfalls the 2M has.
    Yeah, that's good news. Honestly though, your forthcoming 301 MKII will annihilate a 2M Black.

As you found at Marco towers, Alan's amps are truly great products which I have been fortunate to hear a number of times and in development and the KIN or his new phono stage when it's built would be great devices for running a MC cartridge.
    Indeed, I was very impressed with Alan's kit, and wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone on the market for top-notch products, at realistic prices, which are able to compete with the best. As such, I'd be proud to own any of his gear.

As you know I will need to find away to use an MC with my Croft so it will be interesting to see what works best. I have 3 options whirring in my mind. A phono stage with MC facility via Croft line stage, a SUT or a head amp.
    Defo DON'T do that, as you'll be unnecessarily complicating the signal path!

If you feel that you need to upgrade from the phono stage in the Croft, and want to do it with one box, then buy a KIN, or something else of its ilk, and sell the Croft. However, if you're more than happy with the phono stage in your Croft, then go for an SUT or head amp.

Good versions of the latter tend to be rather more expensive, however, than the K&K SUT you've been looking at. It just depends on how much you want to spend

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm James.

Thanks for the advice regarding using an MC with the Croft, it makes my decision a little easier and possibly cheaper!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

I'm James.

A few more pics from last saturdays session
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

I'm Ken.

Good session Guys.
    I can second James view of the KIN Pre/Phono, I had it on loan for a while and also compared it with my own Croft Micro25. The KIN Phono stage is excellent and the line stage is very good as well. I thought the line stages were a close run thing, with the KIN just winning by a nose, slightly more energetic feel to it, but not much in it. The Phono stage was a different thing, the Croft is a very good Phono stage but I felt the KIN was quite noticeably better, very detailed yet open and musical. I enjoyed spinning plenty of vinyl during its stay.

EDIT: Just an observation James, you have your speakers sat with the base flat face on the stands. Try some blocks on each corner to lift and separate the panels.
    I am guessing that this might improve your base definition, costs very little, so worth a try, you might like it.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Good session Guys.
    I can second James view of the KIN Pre/Phono, I had it on loan for a while and also compared it with my own Croft Micro25. The KIN Phono stage is excellent and the line stage is very good as well. I thought the line stages were a close run thing, with the KIN just winning by a nose, slightly more energetic feel to it, but not much in it. The Phono stage was a different thing, the Croft is a very good Phono stage but I felt the KIN was quite noticeably better, very detailed yet open and musical. I enjoyed spinning plenty of vinyl during its stay.

EDIT: Just an observation James, you have your speakers sat with the base flat face on the stands. Try some blocks on each corner to lift and separate the panels.
    I am guessing that this might improve your base definition, costs very little, so worth a try, you might like it.
    Thanks for the tip Ken, I am indeed going do something along those lines. May use some oak or graphite cones

I'm Rich.

A few more pics from last saturdays session
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Looks smashing Jimbo.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Ken.

Thanks for the tip Ken, I am indeed going do something along those lines. May use some oak or graphite cones
    I used some wooden draughts pieces, and it worked a treat.

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    I used some wooden draughts pieces, and it worked a treat.
    Brilliant idea and costs nought,maximum SPPV! Have you seen the price of oak cones and the graphite ones are probably eye watering.

Cheers for that recommendation Ken

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12