+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tenuto Gun Metal Platter mat v Original Garrard 301 Platter Mat - Let battle commence

I'm Guy.

Its weight has increased by more than 30% and £ has fallen against $ since then as well.

I'm Bernard.

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    Its weight has increased by more than 30% and £ has fallen against $ since then as well.
    I agree on your first point (weight). The £ has been mainly stronger vs the $ since October 2016, hence would not agree on the second point.
    B.
    Turntable: Sony TTS-8000 ;Tonearm: Phonomac AT-1010 Mk6; Cartridges: SPU GTE / VDH Colibri XGP / Decca SC4E rebuilt by ESCO with Paratrace; Phono Stage: Shindo; SUT: Bob's Device Cinemag 1131; Pre Amp: Shindo Monbrison; Power Amp: Shindo WE 300B Limited; Speakers: Shindo Lafite / Auditorium23 Solovox; CD Player: EastSound CD-E5 / Sony PS1; Cables: Yannis 423.5; Yannis 223.5; VDH The First Ultimate; Totem Sinew; Audio Tekne ARSP-500 / Auditorium 23.

Bigman80 Guest

TBF Berni, Guy is a good fella, provides good service and is very knowledgeable and that alone is worth the price hike. Luckily the Tenuto is a wonderful item too.

I'm Bernard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    TBF Berni, Guy is a good fella, provides good service and is very knowledgeable and that alone is worth the price hike. Luckily the Tenuto is a wonderful item too.
    I believe you Oli. However, people have a tendency to justify price increases in HiFi by the weakness of the £ vs $, which has not really been the case for 1.5 year. When the £ is stronger, consumers would expect prices to decrease but this is not the case either!

Just my frustration lines ...
    Last edited by Berni217; 24-05-2018 at 17:31.
    Turntable: Sony TTS-8000 ;Tonearm: Phonomac AT-1010 Mk6; Cartridges: SPU GTE / VDH Colibri XGP / Decca SC4E rebuilt by ESCO with Paratrace; Phono Stage: Shindo; SUT: Bob's Device Cinemag 1131; Pre Amp: Shindo Monbrison; Power Amp: Shindo WE 300B Limited; Speakers: Shindo Lafite / Auditorium23 Solovox; CD Player: EastSound CD-E5 / Sony PS1; Cables: Yannis 423.5; Yannis 223.5; VDH The First Ultimate; Totem Sinew; Audio Tekne ARSP-500 / Auditorium 23.

I'm jamie.

anyway back on topic,im going to have to agree with everyone else,im listening to bream and williams and the guitars sound more precise in the picking and finger slides,this mat has definitely lifted the bar,some Floyd next i reckon
    happy days!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    anyway back on topic,im going to have to agree with everyone else,im listening to bream and williams and the guitars sound more precise in the picking and finger slides,this mat has definitely lifted the bar,some Floyd next i reckon
    happy days!
    Glad you're hearing the benefits, Jamie. Good purchase.

I'm Guy.

Berni. With regard the price, I actually put it up just before the referendum when I ordered & paid for the first 5mm mats from a new source. At that point the £ was worth around $1.46. After the Brexit vote the £ dropped to $1.28 and although it crept back closer to where it was at the turn of this year it is back down to $1.33 at the moment so it's been significantly devalued by 9-13% for much of that time. So I'm afraid your assertion that there hasn't been a devaluation doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

Jamie, I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it.

I'm Adam.

I think when you actually see, feel and hear this mat you will understand the value it adds.
    In comparison, check out how much TT platter upgrades are! This, in relative terms, is IMHO, a bargain.

I'm not too sure it's necessary for Guy to justify his price TBH. I think it's adequate explanation that the first mats are not the same as the new heavier version. Anyone is welcome to Barnet if they feel unsure of the investment in a definite shift in sound presentation, if that shift in sound is for you?, well that's another question. But the product and price is good.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Bernard.

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    Berni. With regard the price, I actually put it up just before the referendum when I ordered & paid for the first 5mm mats from a new source. At that point the £ was worth around $1.46. After the Brexit vote the £ dropped to $1.28 and although it crept back closer to where it was at the turn of this year it is back down to $1.33 at the moment so it's been significantly devalued by 9-13% for much of that time. So I'm afraid your assertion that there hasn't been a devaluation doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

Jamie, I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it.
    Thanks for the explanation Guy.

To be clear ...

My comment is valid when checking over the past 1.5 year ($1.20 in Jan 2017 vs $1.33 today).

Of course, if your price increase was before 30th, June 2016 (with rate of $1.33) then it makes sense.

Note: this thread was created before the referendum in Feb 2016 and the price of the mat was £280 vs £330 currently.

Anyway, it’s your absolute right to sell to whichever price you see fit and i do not want to create any further arguments on this forum as it looks like a great component for some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234