+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mission 774 arm rewire

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    The silk isnt isolating as well as maybe silicon etc would.
    The silk covering should be fine as long as it's treated gently.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

If you want to protect the wires where they pass though openings in the tube. You could try coating the silk on each wire at that point with a very thin layer of clear silicone sealant and allowing it to dry before putting the wires back in position. The sealant should be hardly noticeable once dry. The £1 shops sell it in small tubes.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

thats not a bad idea !

I forgot to mention that im not pleased with the Cartridge CLips either, I have the type Geoff mentiond but theyre gold. I'll put them on when i get 5

Bigman80 Guest

Looks like the Ground has come off in the headshell. Annoying little bleeder. Soldering in the arm tube appears impossible. Any suggestions ?

danilo Guest

Shame that,.. Not surprising though.
    I've had carts lose their wiring connections to the pins . Even had pins come off in my fingers. Some fun :-)
    Also the wee clips that slip onto Cart pins are imo Crap. Had bespoke silver ones .. once... they fared no better than Cheap Ass gold plated ones, once they saw their 3rd B'day.
    IF serious... solder those wires on
    Also found that recycled deceased/outdated Mouse wires... Yup :-) Are pretty darned good wires.. when all is said and done.
    Silver aficionados ignored.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Looks like the Ground has come off in the headshell. Annoying little bleeder. Soldering in the arm tube appears impossible. Any suggestions ?
    There was an eBay seller offering new wands as a worst case. There should be a pin in the headshell to solder to from memory - if that's gone, is there a hole there? Try and get a tight fit pin into it if yes, and a very hot soldering iron...although you may end up damaging external paint.

Bigman80 Guest

No pin unfortunately. As I tried to get the arm tube hot enough to solder, the glue? Around the head (hard to explain) started to bubble. I can understand why the guy before glued it down !

I'll try to post a pic shortly.

Any link to the new wand guy ?

Any suggestions for a new pin material ?

I'm Alan.

Maybe an off field suggestion. At the head where the wire was originally crimped under the end of the tube - scrape some paint off then attach the wire with some conductive paint, the type that is used to repair car rear screen demister tracks.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Scrape some paint off where the wand is clamped to the base of the arm. That'll ground the wand and you won't need the wire.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

If you're a bit handy and careful, connecting an earth should not be too much of a challenge. Personally, I'd pull the label off again drill a small hole into the front of the head block, poke a wire with the end stripped of insulation in and wedge it in the hole with a short piece of copper, aluminium or brass rod, If necessary file a small groove to recess the wire behind the label first.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast