+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A bloody cable.

I'm Neil.

Tripped over some slippery conjecture and ribbing about this 'elsewhere'. The gist of that was that these are heavily influenced by ideas embodied in High Fidelity Cables products.

More I can't say, but I agree with Marco, Strokes of Genius is supposed to be the place where fully formed, illustrated reviews are posted. Not exactly like magazine reviews, but at least more than a few words and a picture.
    Regards Neil

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Indeed, and it should *always* be something that other folks can either buy or make themselves, and therefore FULL details should be provided by the OP, in order to facilitate that.

There's nothing worse than reading about something that's (supposedly) great, but that you can't get, because its details are 'cloaked in secrecy', or the item in question is only for the use of a select few!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Jez.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

It's not a very helpful opening gambit for sure
    Last edited by Tim; 04-02-2016 at 01:31.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    A steel cored, copper clad, silver plated central conductor in a miniature coax intended for RF duties in the MHZ range. .
    Sounds and looks like the cable is RG-316, similar to that used in the Sound Cord.

I'm Simon.

That sounds like the stuff. I genuinely don't know what the cable is, here's a fuller review- from the other place.

"'I'm loathe to say this but these do sound significantly different to my Blue Jeans LC1 cables.

I left them on all last night between dac and amp and then plugged them into my Paradise and settled down for a few hours of listening before doing some back to back. It's all sighted, so all biased and utterly unscientific.

I'm not sure which wire Mark has sourced for these but I believe it to be one that he looked hard and long to find. It's a strange combinations of materials and features. It's essentially a steel cored, copper clad, silver plated, miniature coax with an extruded FEP sleeve.It's intended for microwave duties so the steel core doesn't matter to them as skin effects all but completely takes over for its intended duties. For our purposes the steel core acts a magnetically permeable conductor onto which magnets can be attached in such a way that one end of the cable becomes magnetically saturated.

Now Mark didn''t come up with the concept of magnetic plugs, the whole cable is basically a functional work-around of the uber expensive cable brand that's doing the round, they use magnetic centre pins to achieve much the same effect- though they don't to my knowledge use magnetically permeable signal wire, so in that respect I believe this cable implementation is unique. Originally Mark had built two sets of identical cables, one with magnets and one without. They were identical in every way except the magnets, even down to using the criminally poorly built and massively quality variable, cheap Neutrik RCA plugs. These were awful, so sharp that they gouged my silver RCA sockets. They really have no place in hifi. For my cables we chose to use the new KLE Pure plugs. These are the latest Keith Eichmann designs and I selected the versions with solid silver centre pins and solid silver ground pins. They are plastic bodied and large enough inside to accommodate a series of N45 Neodymium ring magnets that polarise the conductor in the wires at one end.

I must say Mark has made a lovely job of soldering them up. I'm the most anal soldering guy in the world- a joint can never be too neatly flowed for me and all excess solder is the Devil's work. (The only thing I hate more than excess solder is hot glue!) Anyway, the plugs are neatly finished they apply a nice even pressure to the RAC sockets when I plug them in and the grommet on the back of the sockets looks like it was made solely to be used with this thin, metal cored, RF miniature co-ax cable. It really is lovely cable I'm surprised it doesn't get used more often.

I settled down with a selection of my favourite and best known test tracks and let rip. Initially I was somewhat disappointed with the sound I thought it a little reticent and hollow sounding, thinned around the edges and suffering perhaps form a frequency imbalance that sucked a little of the life out of the music. It seemed tonally bleached and dynamically stifled. Confused by what I was hearing vs what I'd heard previously from Mark's earlier samples I got up and swapped the cables round so that they were now magnet ends at the amp, rather than at the phono stage side. I sat back down and was presented with a totally rejuvenated sound. The presence was back, the mid-hall seat position was gone. Dynamically the whole thing was sharpened with greater attack and bite to sounds and a seamless sense of musicality that was starkly at odds with the sound of the previous orientation.

I'm actually pretty much an anti-cable guy, certainly I don't come within a hundred miles of being a 'cables are directional' guy buy for me these are breaking new ground and sweeping away my expectations. It's fair to say that they are bringing me closer to the music and enhancing my enjoyment; not just of the test tracks I sat down to listen to but everything I've placed since. From Mingus, to Mazzy Star, Go-Go Penguin to penguin Cafe Orchestra, they're an absolute revelation. My preconceptions of how things sound and what effect cables can have on the quality and enjoyment of music replay in the home have been well and truly smashed. I couldn't have imagined that my my pretty hard line objectivist viewpoint could have been so resolutely turned around.

When i get the time I shall investigate them further with the benefit of double blind testing, until then I'm going to sit back and thoroughly enjoy these simple and quite unique cables."

I'm sure Mark (Ynwan) will be only too happy to make a set up for anyone who wants a set. I might even put these out into the field as a loaner pair.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. However:

That sounds like the stuff. I genuinely don't know what the cable is, here's a fuller review- from the other place.
    Which "other place"? Why not just spit it out!

Now Mark didn''t come up with the concept of magnetic plugs, the whole cable is basically a functional work-around of the uber expensive cable brand that's doing the round...
    Again, I have no idea what you're referring to... Which "expensive cable brand", "doing the round" where exactly?? The above presumes that folks here are 'in the know', when that's not automatically the case.

I'm sure Mark (Ynwan) will be only too happy to make a set up for anyone who wants a set. I might even put these out into the field as a loaner pair.
    That sounds good. However, you'd need to confirm the former with Mark, before doing the latter. Otherwise there's no point.

In future though, Simon, it would be best if you refrained from posting reviews like this until you have all relevant and necessary information about the product being reviewed, and were a little less vague about that.

Cheers

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

The cable review comes from the audioflat forum run by Mark.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

Ah, right... Why didn't Simon just say that in the first place!

It's not somewhere I look at very often (almost never), so would have no idea about what's being discussed. Ok, so which cable is he referring to as the "uber expensive cable brand that's doing the round"?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Grant.

A steel cored, copper clad, silver plated central conductor in a miniature coax intended for RF duties in the MHZ range. .

Sounds and looks like the cable is RG-316, similar to that used in the Sound Cord.

Sounds like something you hold up the Forth road bridge with
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast