+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading today!

I'm Grant.

Currently John Le Carre,s biography by Adam Sisman
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm joe.

The Time of the Angels, a very strange novel by Iris Murdoch

I'm Martin.

All novels are strange. It's the nature of them.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andr'e.

'D-99' by H.B Fyfe

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    All novels are strange. It's the nature of them.
    Ruth is stranger than Richard, to quote Robert Wyatt.

I know what you mean, but some novels are stranger than others. Perhaps 'unsettling' or 'disturbing' are more accurate adjectives for this particular book.

I'm Martin.

Oh it's one of them is it?

I generally avoid modern novels as modern novelists can't write for toffee. I read this on the plane the other week. It was dire:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ro...7_Club_(novel)
    Current Lash Up:

I'm joe.

Oh it's one of them is it?

I generally avoid modern novels as modern novelists can't write for toffee. I read this on the plane the other week. It was dire:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ro...7_Club_(novel)
    Depends what you mean by 'modern', really; 'The Time of the Angels' was published in 1966, at which point Murdoch had been writing novels for about ten years. But that's fifty years ago! Her novels got longer and more convoluted as time went on. I find her later ones unreadable because they were never properly edited, and are a struggle to get through as she just rambled on.

I've never read 'The Rotters Club'. I bought a copy, put it on one side to read later, then my daughter 'borrowed' it and has never given it back. She really enjoyed it though.

At the moment I'm ploughing through the letters of William Wordsworth, circa 1830, at which point he was convinced, as everybody always has been and probably always will be, that the country was going to the dogs.

I'm Martin.

Not sure what I mean by 'modern'. I've not read many novels written post 1990, but those I have read were, mostly, terrible. Not in terms of subject matter but in writing style. 'The Rotter's Club' is a good example: self-conscious, self indulgent and, in a few places, embarrassingly bad.

I have a friend who reads a lot of novels, mostly high-brow stuff, and he occasionally lends me one. There was one about a Japanese bloke and a cat that was quite good. Nothing actually happens in it but it was well-written. Can't recall the title but it is quite well-known. Mainly it is the writing I object to. Ever tried to read that 'Harry Potter' garbage? I suppose if the younger generation hold that to be some sort of standard for quality writing I can see how they might think 'The Rotter's Club' was good.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm joe.

Ever tried to read that 'Harry Potter' garbage? I suppose if the younger generation hold that to be some sort of standard for quality writing I can see how they might think 'The Rotter's Club' was good.
    Never read a word of Harry Potter, nor has the daughter in question; her favourite novels were all written in the late 19th century.

I'm Grant.

The long Earth.. Terry Pratchett..
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast