+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 152

Thread: What are you Reading today!

  1. #11
    Join Date: May 2009

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 3,578

    Default

    'Pagan Mysteries in the Renaissance' by Edgar Wind; 'The Deluge: The Great War and the Remaking of Global Order 1916-1931' by Adam Tooze, and 'Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid' by Douglas Hofstadter.

    Also various books by and about William Hazlitt.

  2. #12
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 15,448
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    'Pagan Mysteries in the Renaissance' by Edgar Wind; 'The Deluge: The Great War and the Remaking of Global Order 1916-1931' by Adam Tooze, and 'Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid' by Douglas Hofstadter.

    Also various books by and about William Hazlitt.
    Interesting reading there Joe. I read Hofstadter's book many years ago. Should re-read it, but I'm now in the middle of Herodotus 'The Histories', translated by Tom Holland.
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

    Barry

  3. #13
    Join Date: May 2009

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 3,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Interesting reading there Joe. I read Hofstadter's book many years ago. Should re-read it, but I'm now in the middle of Herodotus 'The Histories', translated by Tom Holland.
    I'm approaching the Hofstadter very cautiously, as it has large amounts of numbers in it, and I'm more of a words person myself. So far, so good, though.

    (I'm also reading 'The Histories', but by Tacitus!)

  4. #14
    Join Date: May 2015

    Location: London

    Posts: 802
    I'm Loz.

    Default




    Iain Sinclair - Hackney, That Rose-Red Empire

    Third of the way in. Typically a challenge to follow Sinclair's train of thought on occasion but so far a bitter sweet reflection on my beloved Hackney. Good stuff. Recommended.

    Cheers

    Loz

  5. #15
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Essex

    Posts: 15,448
    I'm openingabottleofwine.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I'm approaching the Hofstadter very cautiously, as it has large amounts of numbers in it, and I'm more of a words person myself. So far, so good, though.

    (I'm also reading 'The Histories', but by Tacitus!)
    Is that the R.V. Rieu translation published by Penguin, or are you reading it in Latin? (!)
    Have you listened to this month's choice in the Album Club?

    Barry

  6. #16
    Join Date: May 2009

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 3,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Is that the R.V. Rieu translation published by Penguin, or are you reading it in Latin? (!)
    It's a later Penguin translation, by Kenneth Wellesley. I can just about remember reading Virgil in Latin at school.

  7. #17
    Join Date: May 2009

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 3,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HackneyRF View Post



    Iain Sinclair - Hackney, That Rose-Red Empire

    Third of the way in. Typically a challenge to follow Sinclair's train of thought on occasion but so far a bitter sweet reflection on my beloved Hackney. Good stuff. Recommended.

    Cheers

    Loz
    Excellent book. I think I have almost everything he's published!

  8. #18
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Belfast/Northern Ireland/UK

    Posts: 15,901
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Interesting reading there Joe. I read Hofstadter's book many years ago. Should re-read it, but I'm now in the middle of Herodotus 'The Histories', translated by Tom Holland.
    Tom Holland's fiction is well worth a read, Supping with Panthers was my first by him and its a fabulous Victorian romp with hints of Lovecraft, Howard, Moorcock, Rider Haggard, Conan Doyle and a very subtly erotic vibe that says much without being crass or pornographic. Been a long time since I read a book that drew me into the world in which it was set, made me feel like I was there. In my view an excellent read, right from the get go and would make a very good film - if done right.
    Regards Neil

  9. #19
    Join Date: Feb 2013

    Location: W Lothian

    Posts: 33,825
    I'm Grant.

    Default

    About to start Nicholas Monsarrat's the cruel sea
    Regards,
    Grant ....
    Sometimes incompetence is useful. It helps you keep an open mind.
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    IMUTO TAURUS X4 BATTERY SUPPLY. - RPI2B & AUDIOPHONICS DAC running MOODE 3.7- TONBRUX BATTERY SUPPLY & CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no1 - JBE SERIES 3 SLATEDECK & EMOTIVA XPS-1 PHONO - DENON DV2900 - TWIN PRO MONOBLOCK AMPLIFIERS. - XIANG SHENG DAC\PRE\HEADPHONE AMP. -AUDIO TECHNICA ATH-MSR7 & OPPO PM-3 PLANAR HEADPHONES - WIN10 JRIVER22, SPOTIFY PREMIUM- KINPS CABLES, SMSL M6 MINIDAC, CHROMECAST2 AUDIO DONGLE no2 POWERED BY ANKER BATTERY PSU - FULL RANGE TWIN & SINGLE TELEFUNKEN's - Q ACOUSTIC BT3 actives - CANTON SUB - TANDBERG TCD310 CASS - CARTS.. ACD xlm mk1 integra, AT95 Shibata, SHURE M55E original, JVC MD1029. - RCA CABLES BY BRIAN SPKR CABLES BY MOI HAIR BY MARCO FEET BY ELECTRICBEACH - MAINS REGENERATED BY POWERINSPIRED AND FILTERED BY BELKIN PUREAV.

  10. #20
    Join Date: Nov 2008

    Location: Belfast/Northern Ireland/UK

    Posts: 15,901
    I'm Neil.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    About to start Nicholas Monsarrat's the cruel sea
    Fabulous writer.
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast



 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •