Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you Reading today!

I'm David.

Medusa Chronicles
    Baxter Reynolds
    Great stuff assuming it is a tribute to Arthur C Clrake

I'm Nick.

An eclectic mix:

Because we live and travel in the Gulf, Middle East, Central Asia and Asia Minor/the Caucasus:

"The Silk Roads - A new history of the world" - Peter Frankopan (Superb book)
    "Samarkand" - Amin Maalouf (another extraordinary book - flight of fancy this time)
    Lonely Planet guide to Iran (actually, reading a lot about Iran at the moment - we'll be going there early next year)

"Data and Goliath - The hidden battles to collect your data and control your world" - Bruce Schneier (Great read from one of the true experts on security and privacy)

...and finally...

Linear Audio, volume 13 (actually the 14th volume as it started at volume 0) - as usual, a really interesting volume with a lot of thought-provoking research. Regrettably, it's also the last ever volume of Linear Audio that will be published...
    The whole plan hinged on the natural curiosity of potatoes...

I'm Grant.

A Spy Among Friends: Kim Philby and the Great Betrayal....Ben Macintyre.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Huw.

The Waterloo Companion by Mark Adkin. Its a huge book in detail and size, wonderfully detailed .
    Now at a lesser price on the usual sites. Twenty years ago there was a book by 3 historians, French, German & UK giving their individual take not eh batter. This 'Companion' goes through the campaign and the days of the battle at times hour by hour. Its a great read, to be read through then dipped into. Most worthwhile.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by datdad View Post
    The Waterloo Companion by Mark Adkin. Its a huge book in detail and size, wonderfully detailed .
    Now at a lesser price on the usual sites. Twenty years ago there was a book by 3 historians, French, German & UK giving their individual take not eh batter. This 'Companion' goes through the campaign and the days of the battle at times hour by hour. Its a great read, to be read through then dipped into. Most worthwhile.
    That does look pretty good. I like the way the maps are cross-referenced with photographs of the terrain. Nice touch. Quite reasonable price in hardback too, it's just I promised myself not to buy any more books until I get rid of a few.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Huw.

Yes I need to get rid of a few more books. Our local Leisure centres & Swimming baths have scheme whereby you can leave a few books each time for others to take / borrow. I need to find more places to drop them off... Its the reverse of shop lifting perhaps...

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by datdad View Post
    got that on Kindle. was quite reasonable if I remember. not read it yet
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mark.

The Shipkiller - Justin Scott. Giant oil tanker (carelessly) runs over man in boat on the high seas so he kits out another boat with a big rocket and goes chasing after it to shoot it dead. Full of nautical terminology which is no use at all to me but sailing types might get a kick out of it. Sub-plot involving Mossad. Not a bad read in spite of nautical references.

I'm Phil.

believe it or not , I have just started the book of revelation !!! [last book of the bible !!]
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm John.

On holiday and I'm on my fourth book! This is a personal best and more than I've read in the past four years!

2 x John le Carre - bit overly flowery and waffely for me in his descriptions of scenes at the expense of action. Clever plot in one of them and conversation beautifully written.

Christy, Miss Marple, They do it with Mirrors. Classic Agatha Christy but I knew who done it from the start from the TV program. Still enjoyable.

Another picked up at the poolside Rogue Warrior of the SAS - The Blair Mayne story. Very interesting fact based book on the exploits of the early SAS in WW2. Unbelievable times, what people had to go through during war time doesn't bear thinking about. The Northern Ireland connection is interesting to me too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 48 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast