+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vintage direct drive turntables

I'm steven.

Default Vintage direct drive turntables

Anyone on here got any experience with a Yamaha gt 750 dd turntable heard the gt series were yamaha's top decks circa late 70s early 80s any thoughts guys

I'm Adam.

I've not owned any of them (yet!) but the GT750 came below the GT-1000, GT-2000 and GT-2000X. From what I can gather from the people who know them well, although the GT750 is very good, the GT-1000 and especially the GT-2000 offer much greater performance for comparatively not much extra.

If you're thinking of one, Hi-Fi Do in Japan is the place to look at. They're great people to deal with and their service is first class, as is their packaging - the last person I spoke to who bought a GT-2000 from them said the deck would have survived pretty much anything, thanks to its shipping crate.

A quick glance at their current stock list shows 6 GT-750s in stock, for between £570 and £750 - they also have a GT-1000 for around £700. No GT-2000s currently but they're usually around £900 when they do turn up - much less than you'll pay for one in Europe. As The Vintage Knob website rightly says - GT-2000s are very common in Japan!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm steven.

They look solidly constructed big old Dc motor heavy platter looks like a low mass arm don't think there's much to go wrong I'll bet the rpm on the platter is spot on only thing is I think there Japanese only decks so would need a step up transformer. Not sure if the arm is an in house design or stock bought in from another manufacturer.A nice denon 103 or 110 would sound sweet on one of these,or a kontrapunkt b an acromat would make a difference as well

I'm Adam.

I'm not sure who made the arms for them but I suspect it was a sub-contractor. I recently bought a Japan-only model Vestax PDT-6000 turntable and it's arm is damn near identical to that on the GT-750. Very nice arm, too..
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread