3 20.00%
  • 10/10

3 20.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Album Club, February 2016: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - 'Deja Vu'

I'm Curator.

Default Album Club, February 2016: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young - 'Deja Vu'

The Album Club choice for February comes courtesy of Bazil, with a classic piece of Americana: 'Deja Vu' by Crosby Stills Nash and Young.

Please listen to the album fully before you vote.

Crosby Stills Nash & Young - Deja Vu

David Crosby (The Byrds) , Stephen Stills (Buffalo Springfield) and Graham Nash (The Hollies) together formed the "super group" Crosby Stills and Nash in 1969 and lived up to the hype with their eponymous debut album.

For their second album Deja vu after a group discussion * it was agreed to get Neil Young (also ex-Buffalo Springfield) in to give the group a darker edge. Now this was a Super group and with song writing split equally they produced a fabulous album of songs which also includes a cover of Joni Mitchell's Woodstock and the David Crosby hippy anthem' Almost Cut My Hair' which is in my all time top ten.

* Chapter 9, Wild Tales - Graham Nash

https://play.spotify.com/album/5bHkK1X4WEOzNvRhehvOcb

I'm Martin.

An excellent choice. Just listened to my old original vinyl copy - one of my favorite LPs. 10/10
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Barry.

My copy of this is on a strange coloured vinyl

I'm Graham.

Never been a big fan, but listened to it twice...musically ok but a little too "hippy" for me
    "An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools" Ernest Hemingway

Set-Up (So Far) Garrard 401 with Rega 300 arm & Black 2M, Longdog Audio twin valve dual input phono, Denon DVD 2500 Transport all through Creek Destiny Mk1 integrated amp into Rega RS3 Floor standers

I'm john.

Hmm.... I wasnt going to join in on this but its all subjective i guess.

Only 3 tracks I really like on this, Carry on, almost cut my hair, Woodstock are my standouts.

There are way too many tracks I cannot stand, mainly Teach your children and our house. Just way way to

twee, and the insistant plink! plink! plink! stabbed piano chords on our house makes me want to break things,

The other problem im afraid is.......Deep breath......confession time... I really hate Neil youngs voice

I'm John.

I always felt the Graham Nash songs didn't fit with the other songs on Deja Vu. The rest of the LP I like though 8/10.

Btw - Neil Young's voice is great (and just gets better and better)

Blue, blue windows behind the stars,
    Yellow moon on the rise,
    Big birds flying across the sky,
    Throwing shadows on our eyes.

John
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Technics 1210/Mike New Bearing/Jelco SA750d/Goldring 2500/Paul Hynes SR5 21/27.
    Cambridge Audio 840c CD. Squeezebox Touch. Synology NAS.
    Teac A-3440.
    Beresford Bushmaster.
    Quad II monoblocks....Quad 44/405.....Croft Micro.....Cambridge Audio 840.
    Celestion Ditton 66.....KEF Reference One

I'm Geoff.

Love this album. 'Almost Cut My Hair' is a favourite track of mine, everything about it appeals to me enormously.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Rich.

Oh yes, a personal favourite this one and an easy 9/10.

Love the vibe and the vocal harmonies.

Happy memories of seeing CSN at Glastonbury a few years ago.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Grant.

Yes not heard this for some time.... Helpless and teach your children spring to mind.. A bit of its day I guess but good album that never offends. Strong 6

Streaming it via Amazon music as I type
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mika.

One of my favorites too this one! Listened now from Tidal, but have to spin the original vinyl copy or one of the newer pressings I have some evening.

There are some truly astonishing tracks at the album like 'Carry on' and 'Almost cut my hair' but also few I'm not so fond of. Love the hippy vibe and the vocal harmonies also, so have to give 9/10
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast