+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Could I just remind folks......

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    I thoroughly agree that people should try and post stuff in the right place. I certainly have got it wrong in the past, and probably will again in the future.

Found an interesting one, Bargains on eBay is under Past Masters, but of course there are plenty of non vintage Hi Fi bargains on eBay.
    When I started the thread "Bargains on eBay?" (and the interrogative punctuation is important), it was to discuss the (then) sale of a Leak 'Troughline' tuner, which being a vintage item of audio gear Past Masters was the correct place to put it.

Since then 'Bargains on eBay?' has taken on a life of its own; being one of the most popular and contributed to threads on AoS (along with 'Spinning Today ... '), so whilst discussion often concerns more current items of gear up for sale, the thread itself hasn't been moved, for the simple reason that vintage items still appear for sale.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Perhaps relocating the thread to say Blank Canvas could be worth considering. I've always though it doesn't sit quite right in Past Masters.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Geoff,

No, because as I pointed out earlier, the vast majority of discussion on the "Bargains on ebay' thread is related to vintage hi-fi (as the best old gear, in terms of the SPPV it delivers, is where most of the REAL bargains are found), and so the thread is best suited to remaining in Past Masters.

What we could do, however, is start a similar thread in Blank Canvas, where the stipulation was that said 'bargains' were all examples of new, currently available equipment. If anyone wants to start it, then go right on ahead!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

Well, I thought I was a little confused before reading this sticky, but now I'm not so sure. Anyway, with my blinkered approach to hifi, even 'Blank Canvas' needs to be approached with caution. Actually, come to think of it, I contribute to threads rather than initiate them, so should be relatively safe in my dotage.

I'm Anto.

I was concerned when you said you were 'clamping down 'on folk Marco!

I had a mental image of this !!?? https://voicesinthedark.world/discov...-power-law-33/
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456