+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Could I just remind folks......

I'm Martin.

Good point.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Alex,

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    Found an interesting one, Bargains on eBay is under Past Masters, but of course there are plenty of non vintage Hi Fi bargains on eBay.
    Yes, good point. However, it touches upon something I've already mentioned, which is that it's inevitable certain topics of discussion cannot be rigidly 'pigeonholed' in one section, as the description of where they should go is sometimes unavoidably ambiguous.

It's again about deciding what the *bulk* of the discussion is likely to be about, and thus where threads should go. In that respect, the 'Bargains on ebay' thread will mainly feature links to quality vintage gear, which is why it resides in Past Masters

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Grant.

Its also worth mentioning again that its better for all sections of the site to receive traffic or they can kinda die off a bit. Thats one of the reasons why bundling stuff in blank canvas for example can cause a log jam in one area and a big blank elsewhere.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

Thumbs up How to decide where threads should go

The other thing I'd ask members consider, is how they decide what a topic of discussion is essentially about... For example (and this one crops up all the time), does a discussion about the process involved in making vinyl recordings go into Analogue Art or Musical Compositions?

Well, that's a tricky one, and of course open to individual interpretation. In realty, both are probably acceptable. However, the thing to always try and remember is this:

Is the topic essentially or fundamentally about software, i.e. the music itself and/or the process of producing it, or hardware, the equipment involved in reproducing the music. *That* is the judgement criteria you should use when ascertaining where threads should be posted.

Now, as 'Analogue Art' is supposed to contain discussions SOLELY relating to hardware, the 'correct' answer to the above question is that such a thread should be posted in the music room, because it's more likely that the subsequent discussion will centre around MUSIC (and the processes involved in making it), than HI-FI equipment. There are also many other examples I could provide of this type of thing.

And if thread drift occurs (as often happens here), and said discussion evolves into one more about hi-fi (the equipment/hardware), than music, then we, as admin and moderators can either step in and ask that the thread returns back on topic, or if we decide that doing so would stifle, or even end the discussion, then we simply move it to a more appropriate area of the forum. The key thing, in order to make any forum work, is always to try and PROMOTE discussion, letting things flow and getting people talking, not stifling or killing it.

That's OUR job though, not yours, and part of what running a successful forum is about. It's up to YOU GUYS, however, to use yer noggins and try to put stuff in the right place to begin with...! Hey, whoever said that you shouldn't have to sing for your supper?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Its also worth mentioning again that its better for all sections of the site to receive traffic or they can kinda die off a bit. Thats one of the reasons why bundling stuff in blank canvas for example can cause a log jam in one area and a big blank elsewhere.
    Spot on, Grant, which is why I'm forever on Al's case about The Show Reel!

Marco.
    Main System

Furthermore, Blank Canvas isn't to be used for saying 'hello' to one of your friends, or asking someone to clear their PM inbox: it exists solely to house hi-fi discussion.

Therefore, if you want to carry out the former, please use Abstract Chat

Golden rule: if a topic isn't about hi-fi, it goes into one of the areas of the Off-Topic Section, entitled: 'The Aficionado's Arena', which is clearly highlighted on the site's homepage and separated from the main body of the forum accordingly.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Deano.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Deano,

Bloody smart phones! Good point, and as I only ever access the Internet (or AoS) via a laptop, I have no idea what folk see (or don't see) on mobile phones, with Tapatalk.

However, sub-forums aside, common sense should still dictate, when reading the main headings, that for example, a discussion about CD players, belongs in DIGITAL (there's the big clue, lol) Expressions, not Blank Canvas, which is the place to discuss topics that don't have their own dedicated sections on the forum.....

Marco.
    Absolutely agree with your wisdom, I was mearly pointing out that via smart phones via taptalk lol, the Sub-Forums only allow one selection and do not branch open to alternate areas for correct placement as does the Web pc laptop version, soooooo.
    Can I ask that you moderators are not to aggressive with the newbies and mobile hifi guys that may be placing wrongly with no fault of our own, Marco we don't want to be swimming wid da fishes (mafioso speak)

Quote Originally Posted by British high fidelity View Post
    Can I ask that you moderators are not to aggressive with the newbies and mobile hifi guys that may be placing wrongly with no fault of our own
    Yeah, sure. I appreciate that, and it is and always will be the case. The whole point of this exercise is to make AoS BOTH an informative and fun place to be, and so we don't want to turn contributing here into a 'chore'.

However, you join a particular forum for a reason, and most importantly remain there and take part in discussions, for a reason. And that reason, whether you realise it or not, is the forum's UNIQUE IDENTITY, or if you like, 'USP'.

Now that identity would become totally eroded and lose its appeal rather quickly if it weren't actively maintained both by the owner(s) and mods, and the members adhering to what makes a particular forum unique (the 'vibe', etc, and the chance for people to genuinely learn something interesting and new), which again as I've said before, is why we do what we do - and also like to keep things that way!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Deano.

Well said...also that fun your talking about which Sub-Forum is that in lol

Heh-heh... Try 'Three Words Daily'!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast