+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help re Dac

I'm Adrian.

Default Help re Dac

Okay so I'm looking for a DAC to partner my Sony and have some questions as I haven't dabbled with digital since the 90's.

What is up sampling and why do some people hate it?

I'm aware it's more about implementation than the actual chip but what chips are considered best?

What is the difference between spdif, AES, Toslink and coax (the last I know) and again which is best?

I'm not looking for a volume/headphone amp unless it is defeatable with direct output option and represents an adjunct, the money being spent on dac and power supply. I'm also not looking for USB or any other gubbins as I intend it only for CD.

What I am looking for is of course the holy grail on a shoestring hence most likely vintage. Warmth, transparency of detail, zero glare, liquidity, refinement, musicality, sound staging and depth - this has to compete with my old Allaerts, SP10, Reed, Vida front end. This leads me to consider valves as a suitable candidate rather than solid state. I know the dac I would buy if money was no object (limpiazator/top AN). If you know of any vintage (just what passes for vintage?) dacs that provide what I'm looking for please let me know.

Adey

Sent from my Aquaris X Pro using Tapatalk
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Andrew.

Rega DAC’s are often compared to analogue sources. There might be others. As times move on there are hundreds more DAC’s.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by farflungstar View Post
    Okay so I'm looking for a DAC to partner my Sony and have some questions as I haven't dabbled with digital since the 90's.

What is up sampling and why do some people hate it?

I'm aware it's more about implementation than the actual chip but what chips are considered best?

What is the difference between spdif, AES, Toslink and coax (the last I know) and again which is best?

I'm not looking for a volume/headphone amp unless it is defeatable with direct output option and represents an adjunct, the money being spent on dac and power supply. I'm also not looking for USB or any other gubbins as I intend it only for CD.

What I am looking for is of course the holy grail on a shoestring hence most likely vintage. Warmth, transparency of detail, zero glare, liquidity, refinement, musicality, sound staging and depth - this has to compete with my old Allaerts, SP10, Reed, Vida front end. This leads me to consider valves as a suitable candidate rather than solid state. I know the dac I would buy if money was no object (limpiazator/top AN). If you know of any vintage (just what passes for vintage?) dacs that provide what I'm looking for please let me know.

Adey

You don't specify a budget but there's a Young DAC on here for sale with LPS.

Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC's are good if you can find one!

The Topping range is good and great with an LPS.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Adrian.

I've read interesting things about the following oldies....

Audiomat Tempo 3
    Schiit yggdrasil
    Auris Audio DHP DAC
    EAD DSP1000 Series III
    Metronome C20

Feel free to add to the list...

Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"