+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It OK to Like Just One Musical Genre...?

I'm joe.

Though I like many types of music, my own personal favourite genre is early US punk/new wave. You can't better 'Raw Power' by Iggy & the Stooges IMO.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, but I could probably name 100s of albums in my collection represented by the musical genres I named above, which are in some way covered by prog rock, that you wouldn't dream of listening to!
    The reason i restrict myself to pre '73 is the time before this when musicians were musicians playing proper instruments, bands back then were creative & enjoyed doing what they did creating their own music, not letting the instruments influence their ideas too much, by '73 these bands were changing, record companies dictating what they wanted the band to do, instrument advances, Recording technique advancements all help to destroy this music that was..Don't believe for one min that prog still exists cos it doesnt, '73 was the last of it, by mid '70's the bands that still existed were down a different style route, by '76 punk put pay to the desperation..The rubbish today is under the banner of prog but their in reality commedians.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

if I just listened to prog rock and nothing else, I'd miss out on all that stuff. Also, you said that you don't listen to any music post 1973 (correct?) - well, tons and tons of varied and fantastic music has been released since then. Man, you're missing out whole decades!!
    As mentioned above i saw the changes why bother with the future it's impossible to give me what i see pre '73, in post '73! Again you do not realise how many bands you choose to ignore within the prog field, you are commenting on the prog you may have heard, taring everything in the field with the same brush.However we all choose to listern to what we do for a reason..

What totally pisses me off with the '80's Electro pop & more nowadays is the total reliance of digital sequencers & drum machines.I do aprove of Synthesizers but not digital, they are just pre-set sounds, the first analogue modular synths have creative prospects, they don't.I've seen how artists like Vince clarke used to create a song in his studio, they all basically started of with a repetative sequenced drum beat.If it's foot tapping choons you like your more attracted to the commercial end of music, i aint, anything with a repetaive 4/4 i aint bothered.

Prog is thinking mans music not radio play junk.
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 24-10-2009 at 14:55.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

That's cool, Andre - as I say we're all different

I wouldn't dwell too much on the 80s thing, because much as I love that style of music (one of the reasons is because it brings back so many happy memories of my youth), I also listen to loads of other stuff too!

If you go through the music listed that I played when Steve visited, there wasn't one 80s band in there

When I listen to music I can go from Nat King Cole and Dean Martin to Rammstein and then onto Hipsway, then maybe some Pink Floyd - such is the diversity of my tastes. I like variation in my listening sessions.

The bottom line is I couldn't do the above if I was solely into prog rock pre 1973...

Anyway, variety is the spice of life. It would be a boring world if we were all the same!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    What totally pisses me off with the '80's Electro pop & more nowadays is the total reliance of digital sequencers & drum machines.I do aprove of Synthesizers but not digital, they are just pre-set sounds, the first analogue modular synths have creative prospects, they don't.I've seen how artists like Vince clarke used to create a song in his studio, they all basically started of with a repetative sequenced drum beat.
    A very sweeping statement Andre, and IMHO completely untrue - as a classical musician as a youngster (violin, piano) who moved onto synths in the 80's and 90's and still dabbles in electronic music, as well as playing the guitar, there are FAR more "creative prospects" now that most work is done in the digital environment, and the vast majority of sequencing and drum machine use is simply because one person can't play everything at the same time! It still takes creativity to record whatever is sequenced anyway.

Maybe we should move this off topic discussion to another thread Marco? (BTW, as you can probably guess, I was a big 80's synth music fan - Human League, OMD, Heaven 17, Ultravox, The Buggles all need adding to your list )
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Alex,

Maybe we should move this off topic discussion to another thread Marco? (BTW, as you can probably guess, I was a big 80's synth music fan - Human League, OMD, Heaven 17, Ultravox, The Buggles all need adding to your list )
    You lead, and I'll follow you, dahling - just like we would if we were shakin' our booty on the dance floor, resplendent in our sequined dreshes... Hahahahaha

Oh, you're right, there are loads more bands you could add to that list...

Btw, I just like to nip in now and then and shift the flavour of the music room by diluting the 'ageing rock hippy' vibe, which is favoured amongst the regular contributors

We need more 80s music chat in here!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nobody.

Alex: You confusing, Musicians use Midi you can be an octopuss with this, the bonus attraction is all synth manufacturers keys will talk to each other, pre digital each manufacturers keys would not ie: Rolandd had DCB, Moog has S Trig etc...aside that the reasons they use drum machines in those days was many reason..Synth nutter has everything there on hand in studio, he cant play drums, no multitracking a real set of drums, micing drums is an art all on it's own etc etc...Just so convenient having a drum machine yeh...Shitty examples were the Roland 808..better example Roger Linns Linndrum..
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 24-10-2009 at 18:10.

All in your humble opinion of course, Andre!

Music is a very personal thing - there is no universal 'right' or 'wrong' or 'better'. We all have our own equally valid opinions and benchmarks in that regard.

Marco.
    Main System

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I had many MANY arguments with my ex-mastering engineer friend, who was an extremely fixed, aspergic type. he liked Wagner and similarly "intense" music and hated jazz and all contemporary stuff with a vengeance. Even "modern plink-plonk" compositions were derided. Nothing would change his mind on this.

Me? I love what I love and there's LOADS of extra room available to love more albums (even if there's not the money there to buy them any more...).

Andre, I played Computer Welt this afternoon (on headphones) and the little details there way back in the mix were amazing. You may still regard it as tripe, but a huge amount of work went into programming the synths, recording and mixing the whole together...

It's so long since I last trawled through my LP collection, it's like I'm hearing these records for the first time.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    (BTW, as you can probably guess, I was a big 80's synth music fan - Human League, OMD, Heaven 17, Ultravox, The Buggles all need adding to your list )
    Human League, yes, OMD, yes, Heaven 17, yes, Ultravox up to a point, but The Buggles?! A pile of steaming shite!

I'm Nobody.

Never mind The Buggles being a pile of streaming shite...Trever Horn & geoff downes were equally as shite in YES..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast