+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is It OK to Like Just One Musical Genre...?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default Is It OK to Like Just One Musical Genre...?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Serves you all right for being ignorant about it then At the end of the day Prog & prog/Psych related moosik made up the biggest part of rock music releases in the late 60's/early 70's
    Each to their own and all that, dude, but I can never understand how some people can only listen to the one kind of music

For me, that would be just much too restrictive. Music for me is a mood thing, so depending on what mood I'm in will dictate the kind of music I listen to. What I'm doing also plays a big part, as when I'm driving I have a certain set of tunes which hit the spot as I'm cruising down the motorway at 90 M.P.H, or ducking in and out of the country lanes where I live.

Apart from you, I know a few people who only listen to one type of music - in their case solely classical or jazz. For me (no offence, Andre) that's not really being a true music lover; you're merely a lover of prog rock or a lover of classical music, that's all. A true music lover, for me, is someone whose collection covers a multitude of different genres....

For example, last night I had Steve (Aquapiranha) round for a sesh, as he hadn't heard my Tannoys since I'd had the crossovers rebuilt, and we got through a whole load of different stuff from when he arrived at 7.30pm until he left at well past midnight.

We listened to Nils Lofgren, 9 Below Zero, Alice in Chains, Kirstin Hersh, Midlake, Regina Spektor, Kosheen, Nitin Sawhney, Cara Dillon, Eleanor McEvoy, Tiesto, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy, Modest Mouse, Lucy Kaplansky, Shpongle, Faulty DL, Jimi Hendrix, Julie Doiron, Duke Ellington, and tons of other stuff I can't remember right now - but there's all sort of different genres in there. I'd be utterly bored rigid if I only owned the one type of music!!

On topic, I can't play this game as I don't have any way of scanning in album covers, but if I could I'd bore you all with my obscure 80s albums - the era of classic synth-pop and when music was music... None of yer dreery and depressing prog rock pish!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nobody.

Untrue
    Trouble with most people, they seem to get it in their heads that prog rock is genesis, Yes, ELP etc that's it there is literally thousands of Prog related bands.

The term Prog rock is something i don't like using, it's progressive music. This type of music involves styles from Folk, Jazz, classical. remember i listern to much anything in the prog mould inc Krautrock, Psych etc...& to make a more shocking statement a narrow span from around 68/69 - 72/73...Prog has the most amazing selection of styles believe it or not.

Trouble is you have probably only heard the crap commercial end of it & probably some drizzled branded prog with more that likley isnt.

Prog is an art & one of the most intresting music styles ever. Most of the main record labels around the time put out the largest part of the catalogue to this style of music Harvest (EMI), Swirl Vertigo (Polygram), Deram (Decca), Neon (RCA).. Was a very very important style in music, something i've studied for near on 25 years, still more to learn

btw 80's music is basically puffs music, out of the closet the most of em came. Something i hate is repetative moosik, 80's moosik is just that.
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 24-10-2009 at 13:03. Reason: Spelling

btw 80's music is basically puffs music, out of the closet the most of em came.
    LOL, we'll just have to agree to differ because I ain't no "puff"!

I'm having my lunch now but I'll come back to you later regarding the interesting points you raised...

One thing I will say is that deep down I probably prefer the sound of a well-executed synth than the same with a guitar, which I suspect is what makes me different to most people here

The 80s was my era - I loved almost everything about it

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nobody.

Marco
    Didnt imply you were a puff was saying a lot artists back then were (More so in the syth pop arena).. I worked in a record shop when all this 80's cack came out so i know how bad it is...

O dear don't go delving into prog details cos youll get your fingers burned.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Marco
    Didnt imply you were a puff was saying a lot artists back then were (More so in the syth pop arena)..
    Ah, so you meant that the artists were "puffs", not necessarily the people who listened to their music? No worries

Personally, I couldn't give a monkey's bollocks if certain artists are gay or not - it's their music that counts!

I worked in a record shop when all this 80's cack came out so i know how bad it is...
    Well, we'll have to agree to differ. I loved me Gary Numan, Depeche Mode, Tears for Fears, Howard Jones, etc, then - and always will

The term Prog rock is something i don't like using, it's progressive music. This type of music involves styles from Folk, Jazz, classical. remember i listern to much anything in the prog mould inc Krautrock, Psych etc...& to make a more shocking statement a narrow span from around 68/69 - 72/73...Prog has the most amazing selection of styles believe it or not.
    Good point - I totally agree!

However, it doesn't exactly cover blues, female/male vocalists, jazz, indie, metal, R&B, punk, reggae, ambient, electronic, world music, soul, 50s, 60s (stuff like The Beatles, Stones, etc) country, classical, americana, and tons of other stuff I'm into and listen to on a regular basis!!

So for me a musical diet of solely prog rock would be boring and much too restrictive.

Anyway, we're all different, muchacho - that's what makes the world go round

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Nobody.

Marco:
    You find that most puffter artists back then can't help but include their sexuality within music, frankie goes to hollywood being a fine example.You ask any gay or lesbian person in the street what artist they listern to i can bet you 80% of the artist are gay.They can't help it..Anyway forget about gays i was just pointing out the obvious.

Prog/psych do include the styles you gave example of:will find most early kraut bands were actually electronic/experimental ie: Tangerine Dream,Cluster,Deuter, Limbus etc..Don't forget the style of music call 'Kamische'.. R&B is included ie Julie Driscol, Brian Augur & Trinity..Classical plays a massive part in it, Keith Emerson & The Nice, ELP etc etc.. Again Ambient ie:Popol Vuh etc.. Jazz ie: Nucleus, Coley, If, Midnight Sun, Rainbow Band..Tons Jazz fusion bands ie: late Soft Machine, Pierre Morlen Gong, Exmagma, Solor plexus,Brand x etc etc..Blues driven such as obviously Cream, Zep, NSU...Indie isnt a style it's a music that has no style but to label them as independant .

Virtually every style of music is covered somewhere...

Yes, but I could probably name 100s of albums in my collection represented by the musical genres I named above, which are in some way covered by prog rock, that you wouldn't dream of listening to!

Therefore, if I just listened to prog rock and nothing else, I'd miss out on all that stuff. Also, you said that you don't listen to any music post 1973 (correct?) - well, tons and tons of varied and fantastic music has been released since then. Man, you're missing out whole decades!!

You might think it's all 'crap', of course, but the very fact that you deliberately choose to miss out on all that stuff in itself makes your tastes much too restrictive for me.

As for "puffter artists" and their lyrics - I rarely listen to the words in songs, as I'm a 'tunes man', and so mainly get hooked on melodies... If it gets my feet tapping or makes me want to dance (when the music is appropriate), although I usually resist the temptation (haha!), that's for me what it's all about

I'm not sure there's much prog rock music you could dance to!

It's too drab, baby... Music to slash your wrists to (in general) and reflected in the design of the album covers, which incidentally I love purely for their artistic merit.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm joe.

Most gay people like disco, but most people who make disco music aren't gay.

Ya - there's another genre I love: disco! And I'm not gay! It's what I mainly listened to in the 70s when some of you guys were gettin' off on prog or other types of rock music

Anyway, enough talking about music - I'm off to listen to some now...

Laters, peeps!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm joe.

Burn down the disco
    Hang the blessed DJ
    Because the music that they constantly play
    IT SAYS NOTHING TO ME ABOUT MY LIFE
    Hang the blessed DJ
    Because the music they constantly play ....

On the Leeds side-streets that you slip down
    Provincial towns you jog 'round
    Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ, Hang the DJ
    HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
    HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
    HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
    HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
    HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ
    HANG THE DJ, HANG THE DJ