+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mission 774 OG & Toshiba SR-370

Bigman80 Guest

I might ask Alan to do it lol

Bigman80 Guest

I have asked Alan. I've just soldered a spare tag on the arm I checked. It buzzes now lol
    Last edited by walpurgis; 31-01-2016 at 18:07.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I have asked Alan. I've just soldered a spare tag on the arm I checked. It buzzes now lol
    Is the motor earthed separately, does it have a connection to the arm earth, or both?

(sorry about the edit on foregoing post -- hit the wrong button)
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Is the motor earthed separately, does it have a connection to the arm earth, or both?

(sorry about the edit on foregoing post -- hit the wrong button)
    I am not 100%. I'll have to have a look !!

No connection to the arm earth other than the one that's supposed to be there . When I connected right + & - together and left + & - together it was silent. Even with the motor running. Shouldn't that indicate proper earthing.

Bigman80 Guest

Ok, so I've just disconnected the cartridge and connect L+&- together and R +&- together and it's silent again. Reconnect the cartridge and it's buzzing again. Could it be the cartridge ??

I'm Geoff.

Have you got a meter? It might be handy to check continuities and exactly what is earthed to what or through what. If needed, a cheap one is about a fiver. Try Maplins if there's a branch near you.

It's unlikely to be the cartridge, unless the body is touching something it shouldn't. The metal cartridge body should be earthed via a small tag that is over one of the rear pins if I recall.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Bigman80 Guest

There is one there. I've swapped the negatives over so the arms earth is connected to the tag but still buzzing.

Bigman80 Guest

I do have a meter but no idea how to use it to check for earth faults !

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I do have a meter but no idea how to use it to check for earth faults !
    If you have the meter make & model number. Google for the manual. If not there are plenty of meter use tutorials on there.

Bigman80 Guest

Ok I'm on it.

I took the sticker off expecting to find a brass rod ? Just a wire. Is this right ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast