+ Reply to Thread

Thread: CD Transports

I'm Ron.

Default CD Transports

I presently run a Cambridge CXC transport through a McIntosh D100 to a McIntosh MA6600 integrated.

The CXC was a quick and inexpensive replacement for my Linn Majik which bit the dust last year.
    Lately I feel I can do a lot better and have been looking to replace the CXC with one of the following transports

1. Woo Audio US$1K
    2. Moon 260D US$2K
    3. McIntosh MCT450 US$4K

I have a huge collection of Redbook CDs and wish to enjoy them for a long time.

On one end, I am not sure if the Woo is a big enough step up from the CXC and on the other end not sure if I want to spend the $$ on on the Mac.

Opinions and advice much appreciated.

I'm Michael.

What's wrong with the Cambridge?

I'm Ron.

Nothing, I just think I can do better.

I'm Martin.

I'm guessing the McIntosh is the one you fancy but you'd quite like to be talked out of it

At the price of the McIntosh I'd want a home dem for at least a couple of days. So I'd find a dealer who will let you do that and try the McIntosh. If it is no improvement over the Cambridge then problem solved, stick with what you have as the two cheaper alternatives are unlikely to be better.

If the McIntosh is outright better, straight from the off, no need to think about, then start considering the cheaper options.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Ron,

Do all three players on your shortlist feature the use of a dedicated Red Book CD-only transport, rather than a cheap DVD-ROM (or shared SACD), as is so often the case these days? If not, choose the best one that does, as that will have a significant influence on the sound you'll hear from your CDs

It's not all just about the DAC....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Ron.

I believe the Mac can do SACD. The others are RedBook only. I only care about Redbook, so the above is great advice, thanks.

I have a local Mac dealer which who also carries SimAudio Moon so I may give him a call this week and talk about home demos.

The Woo transport, I would need to purchase first, however I can return it if I do not like it.

Thanks for the insight, everyone.

I'm andrew.

Do all three players on your shortlist feature the use of a dedicated Red Book CD-only transport, rather than a cheap DVD-ROM
    I thought dedicated cd only transport mechs weren't made any more so you may have to find a decent old player to avoid getting one with a dvd rom
    Andy.

I'm Tony.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacemen...3OZps0csx8BN9w

You can still get CDPro2 but the price is high as they are now discontinued.

I'm Ron.

On second thought, I am gonna keep the CXC as it does sound good and spend the $$ on a new Martin 12 string.
    Last edited by DogsPart2; 11-02-2016 at 16:47.

+ Reply to Thread