+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adc xlm mk2 improved

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Once I can drag myself away from the M55e /Jico SAS I will be hooking the ADC up. Funny you should mention the Decca Geoff as I did not happen on the ADC by accident. It was recommended to me by a friend who has always had Deccas. He said obviously the ADC isn't visceral like a Decca but has some attributes, like you said in a more subtle way.

I believe the ADC is a type of Moving Iron principle but not executed like a Decca?
    The ADCs use an induced-magnet principle. The magnet is fixed (and part of the plug in stylus/cantilever assembly) as are the coils (part of the cartridge body). What happens is the stylus/cantilever form part of the magnetic circuit, with the fixed magnet inducing magnetism in the permeable cantilever ('moving iron') which in turn generates a current in the fixed coils. The advantage is that the cantilever can be made to be very low mass and the suspension high compliance.

Deccas are also fixed coil, fixed magnet designs and can be equally described as moving iron, however in the Deccas a sum and difference arrangement is used and the design is virtually cantilever-less. This allows the Deccas to display their superb transient attack and presense, but does mean the vertical compliance is pitifully low.

I love them both, as I do the B&O variable reluctance cartridges (also fixed coil, fixed magnet design).
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I believe the ADC is a type of Moving Iron principle but not executed like a Decca?
    It is somewhat similar. There is a fixed magnet and the cantilever moves an iron tip that is within the influence of the magnet. Hence the 'induced magnet' description.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

sounds interesting. Thanks to both descriptions.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jason.

I had one - falls into the 'why the hell did I sell that' category. A very good cart once set up correctly.
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12