+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: A visit to Marco's

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    .... without the ostentatious and upwards inflective "Vivant" .
    Thanks Barry, you can't please all the people all of the time

I thought it needed something other than linear lettering, after all it's meant to give pleasure to your listening experience.

I'm Grant.

I quite liked that actually, although perhaps slightly too big. Like the shape of the box too; nice and chunky
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Kevin.

A quick and dirty "negative render" done on my phone.

Does not appear to be working. Try this:

image.jpg
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Alan.

I personally prefer the silver lettering on black.

I've just spoken with the engraver and can confirm I can offer Black lettering on silver front

I'm Kevin.

Can I ask for the Silver fascia and black rear panel or is that just too difficult?
    Does it have to be one or the other for both?
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Darren.

Friday was a very enjoyable afternoon it was a pleasure meeting Alan. It would have been great if we'd had more time as I'd really liked to have heard more of the phonostage in the Kin. As I'm not very good at this instead of attempting to compare Alan's pre and power amps to Marco's substituted equipment I'd rather refer back to my previous thoughts on an early FB (Jan 2015) and how I feel the phonostage in the Kin has evolved:

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    I’ve had the Fire Bottle Plus (FB) for about a month now and have enjoyed many hours listening to it over the Christmas holidays. I’m not at all qualified to offer any kind of review so will do my best to compare it to the Cambridge Audio 651P (CA) I’ve had for the last 12 months. Hopefully this will prove useful as I imagine there will be a few members on here who like me are looking to upgrade from their first Phono stage and this is where I think (price wise) the FB sits.

System configuration:
    Garrard 401, bolted to a bit of chipboard, XTP401 Thrust Pad, Platter Dampening Rings, Reso Matt.
    Rega RB300, AT440MLa.
    Tubehunter 6N6P Pre Amp.
    Audiolab 8200x7.
    Celestion Ditton 44.
    Klotz MC5000 / MS Audio Starline throughout.

The B52’s – The B52’s.

Attachment 13755

Instantly evident is the holographic presentation of the FB, music really projects out of the speakers and from the off I find this far more involving than the CA. The decay from the FB is head and shoulders above the CA and it sounds so much more organic. Surface noise is more pronounced than the CA, I don’t know whether this is a good thing or not, but maybe a consideration if you have a lot of far from mint second hand vinyl. Really the only plus point for the CA is that it has a better handle on the bass and goes deeper too.

Yello – Touch.

Attachment 13756

More of the same from the FB, the 3D presentation doesn’t so much draw you into the music but immerses you in it, the soundstage is not only more forward but more left, right, top and bottom, I’ve only heard this kind presentation at home from a Blu Ray with another 3 speakers involved. This is the sort of sound I’ve been hoping to achieve from my stereo setup. The decay is again vastly superior to the CA and what I find more obvious with this record is the air around instruments. The one area I prefer the CA is in the bass, again I find the CA has more control and depth.

Pink Floyd – The Wall.

Attachment 13757

I decided to compare the CA and FB with The Wall following on from Francois' review, this is a record that I find brings more balance to this attempt at a review. One issue I’ve had with the FB is that (in my house, with my equipment, IMO, YMMV etc...) it has a little too much gain. This is quite pronounced when playing The Wall, Alan has attempted to help me with this but as I’m pretty clueless I can’t answer his questions, I’m sure however this is something that Alan could overcome if I were to order a custom FB. Again, I prefer the bass from the CA and also find with this record the CA is able to dig out more detail, all be it in a more synthetic manner than the FB.

As far as I’m concerned it’s 2-1 to the FB and I would say this is fair for all the records I’ve listened to in this context. However this is from an objective(ish) point of view which has the “better” soundstage, decay, bass etc... From a subjective(ish) point of view I prefer the FB, it’s far more involving, natural and exciting, in short it’s just so much more musical.

I have been looking into replacing the CA for a while now and have come across the question of detail vs musicality in relation to phono stages and if I had to choose between the CA and FB, it would be the FB for me. I’d encourage anyone who’s thinking about upgrading their phono stage to try the FB, it's well priced, extremly well built and Alan's a pleasure to deal with.
    My first impression is that the Kin doesn't seem to have the same 3d / holographic presentation of the earlier model, this may have been the music we listened to or maybe it's just my memory, it has been a year since I last heard a FB . One area I'm pretty certain the Kin has come on in leaps and bounds is bass response, in my earlier "review" I didn't feel this was as good as the CA651, the CA651's now gone on to a new home but if I could compare them again I think the Kin would annihilate the CA. The Kin has great control of the bass, not only does it plumb the depths but has good texture and timing. I also felt in the previous comparison that the FB was lacking in detail, this is certainly no longer true. The Kin really digs out the detail and presents it very naturally with a level of clarity I don't think my Croft could currently match. The Kin, especially via the MC stage is very quiet (certainly quieter than my Croft with the Lentek connected), with only the very slightest noise audible if you put your ear up against the speaker.

As far as the phono stage of the Kin goes I think there has been a major evolution of the circuit since I last heard a FB and Alan should be proud of what he's achieved.

This was the first time I'd heard the Air and yes, it really does live up to it's name. There is a great sense of clarity and air between instruments, again I think this is in part due to the low noise of the circuit employed. It seems very well built and one thing true of the entire FB family is the enclosures are very high quality, I've yet to see a photo that does any of the new FB range justice, in the flesh they are very well constructed and finished, reassuringly heavy and wouldn't look out of place partnered with equipment in the same price bracket.

At the offered price I think the Air is quite a bargain and has a great synergy with the Kin.

One thing's for sure, Alan's not standing still, the FB family is expanding and evolving and for me it's enjoyable seeing and hearing the developments.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    Can I ask for the Silver fascia and black rear panel or is that just too difficult?
    Does it have to be one or the other for both?
    You can have whatever combination you want

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    My first impression is that the Kin doesn't seem to have the same 3d / holographic presentation of the earlier model,...
    I am starting to think that as the clarity improves, and the focus of voices particularly becomes more pinpoint, there is an impression that some of the 3D presentation appears to be lost.

I think this is because the separation but precise focus of all the individual elements/instruments draws you into the centre staging even though everything is still spread out before you.

Just ignore me if you think I'm talking

I'm Darren.

I don't think you're talking . I did thoroughly enjoy the 3D of the earlier FB loaner, but I think the KIN is a better phono stage . Certainly at Marco's the centre staging was excellent and perhaps deeper than the aforementioned loaner?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    I am starting to think that as the clarity improves, and the focus of voices particularly becomes more pinpoint, there is an impression that some of the 3D presentation appears to be lost.

I think this is because the separation but precise focus of all the individual elements/instruments draws you into the centre staging even though everything is still spread out before you.
    Also, not all systems are capable of highlighting the benefits of the increased resolution, offered by any piece of equipment, which is fundamentally more transparent

When you 'clean the window' in one area of a system, you have to ensure that the others aren't still 'murky', in order to, as it were, 'fully allow the sun to shine through'....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456