+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone familiar with Shuguang Treasure/Psvane KT88s?

I'm Nick.

Default Anyone familiar with Shuguang Treasure/Psvane KT88s?

Thinking about rolling some of the new Chinese tubes.

Good reviews online from pro reviewers, but anyone here care to share their actual hands-on experiences?

I've heard the Psvane KT88s are very bright? Treasures are supposed to emulate more of a NOS kind of sound?

SQ? Reliability?

I'd be very interested to hear if you think these are worth the ££ and the significant burn-in time.

BTW I'm not listening to quiet jazz music. I need something with full frequency extension, especially in the bottom end, that can handle modern electronic music.

I'm Alex.

I like the Genalex Gold Lion KT88 reissues - I found them to have quite strong bass compared to other KT88/6550 types I've tried (EH, Shuguang, GE). They are also quite long lived, and will work well in almost any KT88 amp.

I've also used KT-120s in previous amps and the bass quality is significantly better than KT88s IMO. Obviously you need to check that a KT120 is acceptable in your amp - many can't handle the extra heater current.

LOL - just realised that I didn't really answer your question about the treasures or Psvane KT88s.

I must admit that I'm cautious of Chinese valves and think that the Treasures in particular are stupidly overpriced. If you go that way, get them from a reseller who offers a full money back guarantee. I am suspicious that there are so many secondary sources selling various 'grades' - that suggests that the factory will sell all of it's output with minimal testing/QC, and the distributors are the ones who sort and select them. Nothing wrong with that (other than relying on the integrity of the distribution chanel), but I'm more concerned that there are so many 'seconds'. it suggests that manufacturing is still hit and miss. I don't think the Genalex tubes are anything other than factory screened an burned in/matched. I think all reflector KT88s (at least EH and Gold Lion) are very consistent, so their manufacturing process has a good yield and decent QC (ie. duff tubes don't make it out of the factory). They also supply double burned in and factory matched quads for a minimal supplement.

Regards,
    Alex
    Last edited by AlexM; 28-01-2016 at 19:36.
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Alex.

I also liked the JJ KT88s - good bass from them. Also a solid valve, and not spendy either.
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm Lee.

I've never tried any of the psvane treasure KT88 but can recommend Golden Lion KT88 valves, but for me the Tungsol 6550 reissues were the best in my amp, they are an excellent valve
    Vinyl rig 1 - NAS Spacedeck / FR64s / Lab 12 Melto / Denon SUT / Ortofon GM SPU. Vinyl rig 2 Mono Set Up - Lenco GL75 c/w Jelco 750D / AT33 Mono / EAR 834P Modded. Amplifiers - Audio Note Empress Silver / Hattor Passive Pre. Digital - Fanless Mini PC / Lampizator TRP / Linear PSU / Hummingboard Network audio adaptor. Speakers - Horns.pl Mummy's. Cables are Audio Note / Albedo / Furutech Speaker wire. Power conditioner is a Gigawatt PC2 EVO

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by nickbaba View Post
    BTW I'm not listening to quiet jazz music. I need something with full frequency extension, especially in the bottom end, that can handle modern electronic music.
    IMHO that would require Solid State amplification with plenty of overhead.

+ Reply to Thread