+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FS: Kef Reference Model 3 Floorstanding Speakers

I'm Lawrence.

Thanks Brian you recognised me then, or maybe the speakers!! Spent a long time getting these to sound right they are fussy about amplification (part of the reason that they are not recognised as widely as they deserve). People think their are too reserved but they come to life in an amazing way with the right amp. And yes the size of the boxes may make you think they should go below 30hz but I think they were designed to be totally flat and not at all boomy down to about 35hz. Yes they could have been made to go down to 30 like many big full range speakers but then they wouldn't be "reference" standard .

Glad you got home safely btw!!

I'm brian.

Good luck with the sale. If I was in the market for speakers I could of hopped over for a listen, but at the moment my 23 year old Shan Shimnas ( concrete) speakers are still sounding fabulous, touch wood !

I'm Lawrence.

I thought I'd heard of most speakers but you've got me there! Similar cabinet concept to the Townshend Glastonbury I think?

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Fussy about amps? Maybe you should have done a 'Sevenoaks' and just wired up any old Denon or Yamaha AV receiver set to stereo They always sounded good used that way

Maybe they used a Cyrus instead I can't remember, but KEF did quite well with these and I thought the razor sharp fizzzzzzzzz of the replacement range was just too 'HiFi' and nowhere near as much 'music.'

Hope they sell/sold to someone who'll enjoy them.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Lawrence.

Sold to someone who gave his last pair to a friend. He (the friend) offered them back but he just decided to buy himself another pair. Wish I had friends like that!

I'm David.

Default Sold?

I see that this is an old posting, but are they still on sale?
    I have the model 2, and am impressed, but would like to move up to model 3.
    Based in London, and can collect.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence001 View Post
    Stunning speakers by Kef second only to the model 4 (which would be too big for most listening rooms). This reference range is regarded by many as Kef's finest moment, the perfect balance of poise and delicacy, detailed and yet fatigue free. After these Kef stopped using the coupled cavity bass system which gave the bass a massive presence and yet with no hint of boominess, I imagine it was too costly to produce as competitors moved production to China and cut costs (these are UK (Kent) produced of course). The cabinets are a stunning example of English workmanship in the premium Rosetta Burr veneer with rounded edges (nice looking but crucially also reduces cabinet reflections).

Condition is as good as I've seen on a pair of these. If I was being hyper critical I would point out a very light swirling of the top veneer from polishing only visible in a strong light at the right angle, and some slight rubbing in a couple of small areas on the black baffles. You can get a feel for how well a pair of these Kefs is looked after from the black bases. If the are scratched and scuffed then they have been bashed by the Hoover. If that's the case then what other mistreatments have they been subjected to! This pair has always been played at low volume at the end of high power amplification. I am the second owner, the gentleman I bought them off was clearly very respectful of them and ran them on an all meridian pre/power set up. I have used top of the range Arcam (biamped) and also Musical Fidelity amps. A change in living arrangements (move from house to flat) forces a very regretful sale.

These are collection only from North London (N21) please due to weight and complete lack of any feasible packing materials. These are listed on fleabay at a higher price. I wanted to put them on here first but I didn't have the photos ready and I had an ebay fee offer that expired on Monday. I really want them to go to a fellow member (OK in fact I really want to keep them but that's the next best outcome).

Price is a firm £895 as I have no obvious replacements lined up and I don't think I could get anything approaching these for the money, so if they don't sell I won't actually be disappointed. You can get them a bit cheaper on fleabay but I've never seen a pair this good come up.

I'm Lawrence.

Sorry they have been sold as I said in my last post.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12