+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Control amplifier/conrad-johnsonCA200

Default Control amplifier/conrad-johnsonCA200

Anyone experience of one of the Conrad-Johnson CA200 control amplifier ? I have heard other CJs (when in the States) and liked the sound. Found a s/hand one of these but across the other end of the country - so can't pop round to listen. Gets good reviews but more power than I need and I don't understand the nuances of the 'control amplifier' not an integrated bit or is this marketing?

I'm Steve.

This is a bit of a gem!

It's basically half of a CJ Premier 350SA power amp (same circuit, half the power output) coupled to a passive preamp stage (the control bit!).

I havn't heard one myself (I have owned the Premier 350SA for the past five years) but reviews I have read talk about the transparency resolved as a result of coupling a passive preamp (hence the 'control' nomenclature as opposed to 'integrated') to a 200watt stereo power amp of the CJ's Premier calibre.

I don't know what speakers you are using, but you can never have too much dynamic headroom in a power amp and you will find the CJ capable of truly subtle and musical delivery.

If it's the Midland Audio advert you saw, I think it has already sold, as the asking price of £1199 was an absolute steal for an amp of this quality!

Steve
    Steve.

My System:- dCS Vivaldi Transport + dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC + dCS Vivaldi Master Word Clock + dCS Vivaldi Upsampler Plus, Aurender N20 Music Server/Streamer, TW Raven One tt/Graham Phantom II/Transfiguration Orpheus L & Audio Technica ART20 mc's, Whest Titan Pro, D'Agostino Momentum HD pre/S250 MxV power amp, TAD CR-1 MKII loudspeakers, REL Gibraltar G2 subs, Coherent Systems BD Mains, interconnects & speaker cables, Sablon Audo EVO USB cable, Tellurium Q Ultra Silver power cords, Ziro Disclosure & Vertex Roraima Hi-Rez power cords + Furutech FI connectors, Stillpoints ESS racks/component stands, Vertex Aletheia PSU2 balanced power supply, Coherent Systems RTZ3 ground box + CR/BD cables, Acoustica Applicata DaaD room treatment, Mutec Ref10 SE-120.

+ Reply to Thread