+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas, drawings, advice, designs required

I'm Brian.

Default Ideas, drawings, advice, designs required

Hi all,

Right, seem to have a wee result with the GF. She has agreed that I can move my LP's (approx 500) into the living room along with my CD collection (few 100). We have allocated a location for a "music wall". Have a look at the photo below and see if you can help be design a bespoke 'unit' to house my record/music collection and house my hi-fi. (TT, amp and CD, Ember Headphone amp and also DAC...maybe a FM tuner later). The speakers will be on a different wall with cable running under the floor.

Make a sketch if it helps.

We will be getting a tradesman to build it apparently.

The unit can be 1400mm wide and height...well I need to be able to reach whatever is up there.

http://i68.tinypic.com/14xp7us.jpg

I'm Simon.

That wall looks awfully small for 500 records plus 100's of cds, reckon you might struggle there.

I'm Martin.

That is more than enough space - I have about 600 LPs and they almost all fit on 2 shelves of a Homebase bookcase. It also holds about 400 CDs with no problem and will fit into that space with room to spare.

Don't ask me to design anything, though, I'll leave that to the art school crowd
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Simon.

What do I know, haha!

I've got an Ikea Expedit (8 blocks) and I'd struggle to get 600lps in it, then again most of mine are gatefolds and I do have them in outer sleeves for protection.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That is more than enough space - I have about 600 LPs and they almost all fit on 2 shelves of a Homebase bookcase. It also holds about 400 CDs with no problem and will fit into that space with room to spare.

Don't ask me to design anything, though, I'll leave that to the art school crowd
    Or count? That looks like just over 200 CDs and about 150 LPs!
    ABD.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    Or count? That looks like just over 200 CDs and about 150 LPs!
    Okay I checked just for you. Upper shelf has 175 LPs on it - quite few are gatefolds and about a quarter are in plastic outer sleeves. So 350 all together (2 shelves) and about another hundred elsewhere. Not as many as I thought must buy some more

Edit : there are about 280 Cd s there.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Okay I checked just for you. Upper shelf has 175 LPs on it - quite few are gatefolds and about a quarter are in plastic outer sleeves. So 350 all together (2 shelves) and about another hundred elsewhere. Not as many as I thought m
    ust buy some more

Edit : there are about 280 Cd s there.
    Oh, OK. I tried to count/estimate but the picture was too fuzzy. (Must get out more!) Here's what 600 plus LPs looks like in my house.
    ABD.

I'm Alan.

Oh that's a cunning bit of storage in the top of the stairwell, illuminated as well

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Yes - what a great idea. Well done.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

]Oh, OK. I tried to count/estimate but the picture was too fuzzy. (Must get out more!) Here's what 600 plus LPs looks like in my house.

Your estimate was closer than mine

In any case it still shows you could get 600 in the proposed space without trouble.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast