+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: CD player replacement required

I'm Krasimir.

I have a large experience with CD players and DACs, dating back to at least 1996, when I was in Edinburgh for a year and got infected with the persevering, and usually lifelong, audiophile disease - from magazines like What Hi-Fi and Hi-Fi Choice A good DAC should in principle improve the SQ of a CD. But the CD must have a good transport section and the cabling must be good. One of the snags is here. The best connection is 75-Ohm BNC. But BNC inputs and outputs are rare. Cambridge Audio used to mount BNC inputs and outputs on their CDs and DACs. Not sure if they still do. BNC is 75-Ohm standard, whereas a 75-Ohm cinch connector is a rarity (WBT do produce 75-Ohm cinch connectors, some of them not overly expensive). Of course, the analogue section, after the DAC, must also be good. Otherwise although there may be a clear improvement in the CD-DAC upgrade, it will reveal itself in ... somebody else's system
    Sources: Advance Acoustic MCD-403 & MDA-503, Pure Sound A-8000, HDD + old notebook + M2Tech Evo Power Supply + M2Tech Evo Clock High End Word-Clock-Generator + M2Tech HiFace Evo 24Bit/192kHz USB-Interface

I'm Oliver.

Before deciding which way I should go, I conducted an experiment yesterday.
    I have a CD that is unplayable in my Exposure (has been for more than 3 years), so I gave it a try in my cheap Blu Ray player, and it played perfectly without skipping once, so looks like the Exposure will be assigned to the loft until I have funds to get it repaired

This has made my mind up to go with my Pioneer DVD into a DAC option for now.

On the DAC front I would like to go for a Bushmaster II or the Caiman II, but would like to know if & how I could connect my Mini Mac to listen to internet radio ?

Thanks again for all your responses

Oliver

I'm Oliver.

Damn !!!!
    While looking in my loft for the Pioneer DVD player, my son reminded me that I gave it to his now Ex girlfriend 2 years ago

I have a Panasonic dmp-bd55 blu ray player that I can use as a transport for now, would this work ok with a DAC ?

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by OD1 View Post
    Before deciding which way I should go, I conducted an experiment yesterday.
    I have a CD that is unplayable in my Exposure (has been for more than 3 years), so I gave it a try in my cheap Blu Ray player, and it played perfectly without skipping once, so looks like the Exposure will be assigned to the loft until I have funds to get it repaired

This has made my mind up to go with my Pioneer DVD into a DAC option for now.

On the DAC front I would like to go for a Bushmaster II or the Caiman II, but would like to know if & how I could connect my Mini Mac to listen to internet radio ?

Thanks again for all your responses

Oliver
    The Caiman II has a USB input so you can connect to your mac mini that way. (I think you may have to specify it's for use with a Mac when you order.. something to do with firmware?). That's actually how most of my casual listening goes: PC laptop -> USB -> Caiman II. Less casual listening means I'm getting out a CD or LP..

Don't put the CD player in the loft, it will stay there for 20 years untouched! I'd take the cover off it, regrease the rails the laser slides on with silicone grease from Maplin and also watch to make sure the draw closes fully, pressing the cd against the clamp above it (often it relies on a simple belt and pully to complete that action and time ages the belt so it slips and so the CD doesn't locate well). That might cost you £10 to fix and an hour (two hours if Maplin is far). Sending off to be repaired for the same thing to be done will cost you probably £150 minimum and a couple of weeks (or sometimes a bad audio engineer will just say "it needs a new laser, that's £400 please" when it probably doesn't).

I have a Panasonic dmp-bd55 blu ray player that I can use as a transport for now, would this work ok with a DAC ?
    It will work if it has an optical or coax output at the back.

I got one of the highly rated Marantz 63 CDP that is in A1 condition and is only used for testing purposes once in a while. If you are going to get a Caiman DAC, why not take a drive down to me in NW London? I might be able to do you a deal for the DAC and the CDP.

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    It will work if it has an optical or coax output at the back.
    Looks like it has both. If you're into that sort of thing, you can easily use it to try to hear any difference between the two types of connections..

I'm Oliver.

Sam,

I opened my Exposure & noticed that the tray is loose (able to move up & down while closed) is this some sort of suspension arrangement or is something amiss ?
    I will follow your advice & have a go at cleaning it up if the loose tray is correct.

Stan,
    Thanks for the offer, but the BR player is sitting idle so would probably try it with a Caiman (it has optical & Coax digital outs).
    I have just played some cd's via the BR player, and no probs with skipping, and it does not sound too bad, just a tad loose in the bass. Would the Caiman tighten this up ?

Oliver

I have just played some cd's via the BR player, and no probs with skipping, and it does not sound too bad, just a tad loose in the bass. Would the Caiman tighten this up ?
    I can't say. It all depends with what you mean by loose. They got a TV program called Loose Women, but I can't figure out what is loose with them.

I'm Oliver.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I can't say. It all depends with what you mean by loose. They got a TV program called Loose Women, but I can't figure out what is loose with them.
    Lol, my way of saying the bass is not as fast (the notes lasting longer) as I am used to, but then I cannot say for certain that I am now hearing a more accurate sound

I'm Oliver.

Stan,
    I have some q's to ask before ordering a Caiman, should I ask them here, or via email to your website ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast