+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CD player replacement required

I'm Oliver.

Default CD player replacement required

My 12 year old Exposure 2010s is showing signs of old age

I would like to replace it, & if possible increase the SQ, with a more modern machine.

I think I have the following options (in personal preference order), with a budget of £250:

a. I own a lightly used Pioneer DV575a dvd player, would it be worthwhile using this as a transport via a separate DAC ?

b. Buy a cheap Blu Ray player & use with a separate DAC ?

c. Buy a new budget CD player

d. Buy a 2nd hand CD player

I welcome any suggestions, especially on the make & model of a suitable DAC.

Thanks
    Oliver

I'm Grant.

if you can pick a good one up the dv 717 and the 737 pioneers are great transports too. I currently now use a 717 without a dac but through a MF X10v3 buffer. Couldnt be happier with it

also have a pioneer 150 blu ray but its a bit souless
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Andy.

I'd say buy a 2nd hand Naim player. Great build and sonics IMO.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    if you can pick a good one up the dv 717 and the 737 pioneers are great transports too. I currently now use a 717 without a dac but through a MF X10v3 buffer. Couldnt be happier with it

also have a pioneer 150 blu ray but its a bit souless
    I will second the choice of a DV 717/737 Pioneer used as a transport. I have two of them and they are very good as a transport. I use mine feeding an Audio Note Dac but have not tried one 'by itself' so cannot comment

They are always for sale on the bay... like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-DV...sAAOSwNphWZ6r5
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-DV...IAAOSw4HVWE84F

I have used my 717/737's for ages and cannot fault them
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by OD1 View Post
    What signs is it showing? After 12 years it could likely do with some maintainance! Belt changes (guess there are some on the drawer), lubrication on the laser sled rails..

Once you've sorted that out so that it plays fine again, get a Beresford Caiman 2. An amazing dac for the £215 or whatever price.

I would like to replace it, & if possible increase the SQ, with a more modern machine.

I think I have the following options (in personal preference order), with a budget of £250:
    I would recommend that you first try it with a DAC like the Caiman MKII (I sell them by the way), before you replace it. The Caiman will transform the data from the CD player into something far superior. I still use a CDP to play discs, instead of just listening to ripped files. I have done enough tests to confirm that on my set up at least, the CDP cannot be beaten for sound quality by a PC when used as a digital source.

I'm Martin.

Try the Pioneer 575a as a stand alone player. They are not bad. Then experiment by adding a Caiman.

I've tried my 565 (basically the same but without DVD-A capability) with a Young DAC and I didn't think it made much of an improvement, if any, but that may just be me.

Of the many players I own far and away the best is the Technics SLP1200B but they are scarce and reliability due to age and use is an issue.

I also have a Pioneer 737 and I wouldn't recommend it - too plasticky and it packed in after a short time. Not tried it as a transport, though.

Cheap and good option if you can find one is a Sony XB790QS, for me it comes quite close to the Technics. Does SACD too.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Oliver.

Thank you all for your great responses, you have given me some options to research

Sam,

My current CD player is starting to jump / stick (not sure of correct term) during playback, & increasingly cannot read cds & shows "Error 1" or "Error 2" after noisily whirring for 30 seconds or so. I suppose I could speak to Exposure about servicing it, or one of AOS's electronics guru's ?

In the meantime I like the idea (and price ) of getting a Caiman (or Bushmaster 2 ? ) DAC & using it with my Pioneer until my Exposure is repaired, then using the Exposure as a transport only.

Oliver

I'm gary.

Thank you all for your great responses, you have given me some options to research

Sam,

My current CD player is starting to jump / stick (not sure of correct term) during playback, & increasingly cannot read cds & shows "Error 1" or "Error 2" after noisily whirring for 30 seconds or so. I suppose I could speak to Exposure about servicing it, or one of AOS's electronics guru's ?

In the meantime I like the idea (and price ) of getting a Caiman (or Bushmaster 2 ? ) DAC & using it with my Pioneer until my Exposure is repaired, then using the Exposure as a transport only.

Oliver
    Think that is a good way to go. I have a Bushmaster 2 thru a Myryad cd player and it is an excellent dac. Replaced a Theta and for me trounced it.
    gweat, weally gweat

I'm Sam.

Sam,

Oliver
    With a DVD player's ram buffer, you might even find that the cheaper built Pioneer will sound better than the dedicated CD player when used as a transport.. Just a shame that you lose a bit of build quality and joy of use.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast