Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Banning

I'm Martin.

Default Banning

Hi

I notice that Shippy/Sound Has Priority etc. has been banned

Might I venture to suggest that this seems a little out of order? I appreciate that he was, in the end, personally insulting to another member, but only after some serious goading. His posts were well written and intelligent, if a little longer than neccessary, and while I do not agree with his viewpoint I do not have a problem with him expressing it and I do not understand why others do.

Anyone who saw Nick Griffin making a damn fool of himself on Question Time last night must surely realise that the open discussion that occurs when censorship is relaxed does no harm at all to the causes of 'good' and 'right'. Personally I find the actions of those protestors outside the studio who were attempting to prevent the broadcast to be far more dangerous to the health of our society.

I am aware that this is a privately owned site and if the owners wish to bar an individual for any reason then it is entirely their decision - I have worked in the licensed trade and have barred people myself - I did not have to give a reason and often I did not. I am simply suggesting that the decision to ban someone is made only after serious consideration and not as a knee-jerk reaction.

Regards

Martin

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If Shippy had posted elsewhere on various threads and slipped in that he was a happy user of Beltish techniques, I don't think it would have got so nasty on both sides.. I've heard Belt effects in a system almost dedicated (at the time) to bring these differences forward, yet could never replicate them at home. Eventually, I hit the jackpot and, IMO, overtook the belt-tweaked system by using tried and trusted subjective/objective reasoning - get the sources right as near as possible, use an amp system that doesn't get in the way of the music/production and follow the ATC/Tannoy DC way - if you want it more realistic, get a bigger pair of speakers.........

Martin, if you'd read the vitriol that has floated around other audio forums from time to time, I suppose it was only a matter of time something kicked off here, with entrenched viewpoints clashing badly. A shame, as we *usually* get on well here...

Regarding Nick Griffin, I sincerely hope that life experiences will allow him to grow and temper the OTT views he held twenty or more years ago. We should all be given the chance to grow and develop our ideas I think. Hopefully, we can learn from experience IMO.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm notAlone.

Taking into account the details (and having been an administrator several times), in my opinion, the admins here took seriously into consideration the shippy/whatever case and made the right move. It even took too long imho.

"Bashing" is not a synonym of "freedom of posting" to a forum: there are two different notions. soundhaspriority simply didn't realize this simple rule.
    (and I know nothing bout Nick Griffin, sorry)
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Steve.

I assume you are referring to me as being the one did the goading? well, as I have repeated several times now, this soundhaspriority has 'form' and has devoted the last few years to tirelessly and ceaselessly pushing beliefs on others via forums.

There is no doubt that he is an educated, intelligent and articulate person, (as is griffin, despite his apparent insanity) but what he fails to grasp is that there are others who simply do not have the same beliefs, and to him, they are wrong, dead wrong and he will stop at nothing to try and tell them that they are wrong. A bit like griffin then?

I was surprised he lasted as long as he did and I make no apologies for the way I spoke to him, having tangled with him before and knowing exactly what was coming.

If I want to know more about a religion, I would read books, go to the place of worship etc, I do not expect someone to come to my house and try to ram it down me without invite.

Don't worry, he will simply move on to another forum and the process will be repeated again and again, ad nauseum.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm David.

I'm half and half on this one. I think it's a shame he is banned BUT I do think it was the right thing to do. IF he was more willing to take part in the forum as a whole like the rest of us do then fine, but as was... No good for me

i see it like this

imagine a group of well meaning, usually happy go lucky, intelegent (for the most part ) people sat around in your house having interesting conversations about all sorts of things. They have differing opinions, but are happy discusing things on a sencible level with calm and reasonable outcomes. Anybody is welcome to come to your house, as long as they don't offend people and keep up the same level of convo etc.. Then imagine there is a guy in the kitchen who has a very strong veiw that differs from everyone elses, people can go in there have a chat with him listen to what he has to say and refute it if they like.. Fine no probs... Until that guy starts shouting and screaming his veiws, telling everyone at great length how stupid they are, even at the mear question of what he says. Wel, that will eventually start getting to people, you can say just ignor him... But what about the fresh faces that come knocking at the door... That one nutter reflecs really badly on the whole house! Let me just reiterate.. If that guy had sat around with everyone else and respected everyone elses veiws, then no problem... But shouting in the kitchen... It's just not on!!!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Martin,

Decisions to ban members are always regretful, very carefully considered, and only occur as a last resort when all conciliatory measures have failed.

We had no choice but to ban Shippy, not necessarily for his outburst at the end, but for the simple reason that he was on an all-consuming mission to 'preach the gospel according to Belt', and as such had little interest in other discussions or integrating harmoniously into our community.

We have no problem with people expressing opinions or championing products as robustly as they wish, but at the same time they also have to respect the equally valid contrary opinions/beliefs of others and attempt fit into our community by adding something of worth in return.

In the final analysis, Shippy took much more than he gave and simply saw our forum as a vehicle to lecture people on his rather outlandish 'Beltist' beliefs. In the end this just wasn't compatible with what AoS is about and how we expect our members to contribute to the site.

That's it in a nutshell.

Marco.

P.S Hamish is spot on and has a very good handle on the situation
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nobody.

I think if he hadnt used multiple user names simultaniously & not gone babbling on about the shit he preaches within the the hello/welcome section he would have stood a chance.

Personally what he was doing is preaching bullshit in a marketing machine fashion..

Someone who can write a responce the size of blackpool tower withing 2 mins is clearly a psycho..

So what did you learn within his bable people eh? Yeh nothing.
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 23-10-2009 at 21:07.

I'm ChrisB.

Andre,
    You need to stay away from Hamish.
    Your spelling is shite too!!

Sorry, Elizabethan.

I'm Nobody.

Spellins more that shite it's terrible.As long as you get the jist don't worry.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I'm reckoning the day-long sesh on the pop doesn't help, either!?

FWIW, Shippy (whoever) IMHO came here deliberately for a row, and to try and put the cat amongst the pigeons. After all the stuff I've read, as I said before, it may seem harsh, but the forum is better off without him.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast