+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello all!

I'm David.

Default Hello all!

Hello, my name is David and I'm glad to join you here on this fascinating forum. My musical tastes are mostly classic rock and some large orchestral works. My system is Exposure CD (the original model, known for its 'analogue' timbre), ATC integrated 150w amp and ATC 10 speakers. I haven't used vinyl for a good many years, but have always missed its naturalness and have never been entirely satisfied with CD as its replacement. That's something I'm going to try to put right this year, if I can. I tend to listen at reasonably low volume levels, but as we all know music often 'opens up' and sounds its best at medium to high volume. If anybody can offer me suggestions as to how I can achieve a sound that is both natural-sounding (for that, read 'sounding like vinyl') and fairly full frequency, but at low volumes, and perhaps veering towards warm but not mushy, then I'd be most grateful if you'd share your knowledge and experience. I look forward to many interesting exchanges to come.

I'm Geoff.

Hello David. Welcome to AOS.

You have some interesting gear. Some photos for the Gallery section would be good.

I've found well set up Cd as enjoyable as vinyl, but if you want to get back into record playing, I'm sure members can give you opinions on your options. Just start a thread in the Analogue Arts section with your ideas. You'll get plenty of replies.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

WElcome David.. hope you find your Nirvana. Like my vinyl myself and mostly listen at low to medium levels myself these days. I understand your quest
    enjoy the forum and hope you join in the discussion
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Hi David and welcome

Re improving CD performance my experience has been that substituting a passive control unit for the active gain stage in the pre-amp reduced noise and distortion to a significant extent. Enough to change playback from the 'typical' digital sound - hard, fatiguing, lacking detail and resolution; into what you might hear sat at the desk in the studio. Not a small improvement. There are plenty of options in the world of passives, I'd suggest you check this approach out, Or maybe start a thread and get some other suggestions
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Dave.

Hi David, welcome to AOS.
    Kraken, Saturn, Emotion, Flying V Rocket, Planets.

I'm Steve.

Welcome to AOS David. Interesting system you have. Great CD player though i read that parts are difficult to get hold of should they develope a fault. Great sounding machine though.

I'm David.

Thank you all for your words of welcome, and for Macca's suggestion regarding a passive preamp stage to sweeten the dryness of CD playback. I find that it's only in the upper frequencies that it can sound harsh and fatiguing; the mids and lower frequencies are very good indeed. Once I work out how to attach pictures I'll add some images to the gallery.

I'm Neil.

Welcome to AoS David
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread