+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Shooting

I'm Shaun.

Default Pistol Shooting

Another of my hobbies is pistol shooting. Here are my two beauties.

One is my Umarex Beretta 92FS at 4.5mm calibre, 395fps, CO2 powered and the other is my Weihrauch HW45 Black Star at 4.5mm calibre, 600fps, spring powered.

I'm Grant.

That equ to .177 slug.. Look very nice indeed
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

Yes Grant, indeed it is .177 in old money. Hundreds of different types of round available with different weights and different crown profiles. Of course .177 has a lot more hitting power than .22 as it has the same power but a smaller diameter so as pressure equals force over area, it works out slightly better.

The only problem with the Black Star is that when it goes off it makes a helluva noise so is a tad obvious in the back garden range.

I'm Grant.

Indeed.. Remember making a hybrid from a 22 stalk and spring and 177 barrel. It was very powerful rifle. Handguns in my day were not much use. They have come on a long way, but you wouldnt want to be seen with one out in open for fear of an ARU assaulting you
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Nice looking pistols Shaun and 600fps is good going from a springer pistol!

What weight of pellet is this with? I think though you've maybe mixed up "hitting power" with force per square millimetre as a 177 does not have more striking energy than a 22 at the same velocity. At 600 fps with a typical 8 grain .177 pellet results in 6.4ft-lbs of striking energy. 600fps with a .22 14 grain pellet is 12ft-lbs striking energy which is the same thing as "hitting power" (ie a 22 pellet travelling at the same velocity has way more energy!), so for any given velocity, the larger pellet will have the larger striking force.

I'm a fellow shooter too by the way. In my case, it's full bore long range rifle shooting, although my FEO probably wouldn't approve of me posting pictures of my rifles on tut interweb! (Be aware that some forces are clamping down on this).

I'm Shaun.

Yes of course a .22 pellet has much higher striking force but will be at a considerably lower velocity due to the P=FA equation given the same force which of course they are restricted to.

I'm Shaun.

I always use H&N Field Target pellets at 0.55gms as I have found these to perform best overall when target shooting. They have a domed crown so don't suffer from the same problems that flat crowned pellets suffer from.

I'm Grant.

Only used guns when i was young...probably wouldnt be allowed now...not sure it was then tbh. Prefer tunes now.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I had loads of air guns years ago.

The most powerful pistol you could get hands on back then (generally) was the Crosman 1377 pump up. Just plug the blow off port and you have 1/3 more power. Not legal though. Noisy bugger to pump up, going 'clack clack' all the time. A bit of rubber tape helped.

I preferred rifles really. Loved my BSF 55, Webley Mk.III and sidelever SIG Hammerli 401, which was by far the most accurate and my Benjamin 347 pump up, which was the most powerful.

Still got a seventies .22 BSA Meteor. Good all rounder, not too big but accurate and plenty of punch. Good for rat removal!

I've also got a fairly uncommon and rather dinky German .177 Gecado Model 22 from the fifties in lovely nick. Virtually identical to the Diana and Original model 22 rifles of the time. They shared the design.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I had loads of air guns years ago.

The most powerful pistol you could get hands on back then (generally) was the Crosman 1377 pump up. Just plug the blow off port and you have 1/3 more power. Not legal though. Noisy bugger to pump up, going 'clack clack' all the time. A bit of rubber tape helped.

I preferred rifles really. Loved my BSF 55, Webley Mk.III and sidelever SIG Hammerli 401, which by far the most accurate and my Benjamin 347 pump up, which was the most powerful.

Still got a seventies BSA .22 Meteor. Good all rounder, not too big but accurate and plenty of punch. Good for rat removal!

I've also got a fairly uncommon and rather dinky German .177 Gecado Model 22 from the fifties in lovely nick. Virtually identical to the Diana and Original model 22 rifles of the time. They shared the design.
    Oh my word Geoff, I remember years ago having a .22 BSA Meteor. We used to cut the stock off, shape what was left into a grip, saw the barrel off down to about eight inches and fit a folding stock and red laser dot marker. Surprisingly, that bloody gun was quite powerful. How times change. My Weihrauch Black Star is currently the most powerful air pistol on sale in the UK but of course is still only half the power of a rifle.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast