+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is this a speaker cable?

I'm Jez.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Give it a try. Cables don't have to be big and hefty to sound good. I have many thick fancy speaker cables, but the best sounding are some skinny Transparent Audio items that look like mower lead.
    On the contrary.... it's all that matters! Thin cables can affect the sound if too thin. Remember those DNM ones that were really thin single strand? A mate bought some and I measured its loop resistance as 1 Ohm for a run of about 4 metres! That means a maximum damping factor of 8 or 4 depending if you have 8 or 4 Ohm speakers.... You can imagine what it would do to frequency response when used with a bit of a difficult speaker! All that inaccuracy and "SET effect" may be liked by some but accurate it ain't.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Advent View Post
    By having KLE/Eichman plugs on, it means that no matter how the cable sounds, it can pretty much be sold on for no loss, the plugs themselves being enough of a pull for buyers. When you're unable to try before you buy in your own system, each mistake not costing you a packet each time is vital. Therefore, financially it's a no-brainer. Replace Eichmans with Profigolds and you increase the chances of the cable not selling multi-fold..
    That's a rather novel (and valid) way of looking at it

If the cable turns out to sound good and you're going to keep them THEN you could put profigolds on instead and sell the Eichmanns on for almost the price paid for the cable.
    Now, you see, I wouldn't do that, as in my experience, the latter (Eichmanns) are sonically superior, so I'd want to retain the use of the best ('sounding') plugs, and sell the inferior ones!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Richard.

Very nice! I quite like them. I hope they use man-made fibres else you could get moth or other creatures in your cables!
    Polypropylene, I think. And I didn't go and buy any more today cos it was cold and raining. I'm nesh, me.
    ABD.

I'm Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That's a rather novel (and valid) way of looking at it

Now, you see, I wouldn't do that, as in my experience, the latter (Eichmanns) are sonically superior, so I'd want to retain the use of the best ('sounding') plugs, and sell the inferior ones!

Marco.
    It's what hifi on a budget it all about. Well ok, I'm not really on a tight budget as such and sometimes spend too much but I still try to make sure the asset value down the line is at least the same as what I bought it for... Just say NO to depreciation!

Neutric ProFi are not a bad idea to be honest - I like their sensible sprung earth collar idea, connecting earth first and last when plugging them in and out. Apparently, technically, doing so with a regular phono could damage some equipment by creating a voltage somewhere innadvertanly (someone technical, perhaps John Westlake? said so on a forum once..).

But in terms of feel in use and feel of quality, black Eichmans or KLEs are great (the original blues appear to use a softer plastic and aren't so nice).

I'm not into "the sound of plugs" ... I've bigger degrees of sonic change to spend my time on I'm sure!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

It's what hifi on a budget it all about. Well ok, I'm not really on a tight budget as such and sometimes spend too much but I still try to make sure the asset value down the line is at least the same as what I bought it for... Just say NO to depreciation!
    Lol... I get that, but I prefer to operate along the lines of trying to get it right in the first place, then you won't need to sell it on, and thus worry about depreciation!

For me, the equipment will always simply be a means to an end; the end being to enjoy music, not arse around with the gear. It's probably why the key components in my system have remained virtually unchanged for years... A' box-swapper' I am not. These days, I tend to just tinker with the 'infrastructure'.

I'm not into "the sound of plugs" ... I've bigger degrees of sonic change to spend my time on I'm sure!
    Absolutely, but for me (at the stage my system's at now), it's all 'icing on the cake', and so cumulatively, all the 'subtle little improvements', such as those obtained from the use of certain types of plugs, all add up!

It's interesting to note that some friends, who are into music/hi-fi and know my system well, but live far away, and so only visit around once or twice a year, completely unprompted, generally always comment about how the system has improved (often significantly) since their last visit - yet all the 'boxes' and speakers remain unchanged.....

Getting, what I call your 'system infrastructure' right (stands, mains, cables, etc), outside of course of using inherently good gear in the first place, is where the real magic lies. In my experience, it can often mean the difference between having merely a good system, and a great one.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345