+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What got you started into "hi-fi ?

I'm gary.

Default What got you started into "hi-fi ?

Just interested in how you first got bitten by the Bug ? Was it through your parents system perhaps , or a friend;s kit ? A hifi shop or.....?

Mine was when i went to buy a pair of speaker's (can't remember what they were, squat ugly things tho) from an elderly chap through the local paper, (£25)as i had a cheap amp , TT and no speaker's. He plonked them on the floor and hooked them up to 2 gunmetal grey boxes with the word Mission on them. Never seen anything like them before and i was intrigued.
    Think it was around 1990 and i took along a Kate Bush album as he said bring something you know.
    30 secs later and i was stunned. I was hearing this holographic sound all around me from these two ugly boxes sitting on the floor with me stood between them. It was actually a bit disconcerting- like my brain was having trouble processing what my ears were hearing.
    I have never forgotten that experience , nor have i yet replicated it And that was my start into hifi , still trying to get that same sound now, what - 25 years later. I will not give up nor daresay be totally happy until i do. Some days i wish i had never heard it.
    BTW - i have never seen those Mission monoblocks anywhere since either.
    gweat, weally gweat

I'm Dan.

My inspiration - My Father

As a kid listening to music like Adamski , Talk Talk , OMD , Pet Shop Boys , You Name it he's had a lot of High end gear although not so much now

Thats my part said... Though he still has a collection of 3000 + Records
    Receiver
    Marantz 2225
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Turntable
    KAM DDX 1000 with Goldring G800 Cartridge
    Loudspeakers
    Mordaunt Short M10

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by dantheman91 View Post
    My inspiration - My Father

As a kid listening to music like Adamski , Talk Talk , OMD , Pet Shop Boys , You Name it he's had a lot of High end gear although not so much now

Thats my part said... Though he still has a collection of 3000 + Records
    OMD I play there CDs every week absaultly fantastic messages enola day Joan of arc etc etc Pandora's box is amazing !!

I'm scott.

15 by chance walked into a shop & a linn/naim active isobariks system was playing paul simon

just a bit better than my music centre , by 16 i bought a LP12

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by daytona600 View Post
    15 by chance walked into a shop & a linn/naim active isobariks system was playing paul simon

just a bit better than my music centre , by 16 i bought a LP12
    Musta had some paper round
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I'd always had an interest in record players, as the old man used to build his own, but didn't hear Hi-Fi until a mate bought a system around 1969/1970. it was a Garrard AP76 with a Shure cartridge, Sansui AU-101 amp and Goodmans Magister K2 speakers. I thought it sounded incredible and was hooked.

I made a few bad choices starting off. First setup was a Garrard SP25 Mk. III with a Sonotone ceramic cartridge and an Amstrad 8000 amp driving EMI 450 elliptical speakers in home made boxes. It was a cheap system and total crap.

My first proper Hi-Fi was this:

Recognise any of it?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Never been into HiFi since I was young, as can be seen by my gear I guess starting to work in a repair shop at 13 started me off, enjoying ITT & Hacker radios and aspiring to a B&O system that an engineer had later on. never got one, though a set of their speakers passed through my hands briefly.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rich.

Cannabis and falling in with a funny crowd at an impressionable age I expect.

I quit that but the music and hifi bug stuck.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Alan.

I had a windup gramaphone as a kid, and listened to dad's dansette later, at 17 (1969) I bought a Fidelity UA5 "music centre", t/t. radio, cassette, amplifier, microphone and 2!! SPEAKERS!!.£179 was a lot to me back then.

Sitting in the middle and have a guitar on one side, drum kit on the other and a singer in the middle was absolutely superb to me, so that set me off on a lovely journey I still enjoy.

cheers Al
    My system,

Cartridges Lyra Delos, Audio Technica AT33EVmc, AT 24 mm
    Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    CD player Technics SL-PG490
    Cassette deck Yamaha KX 530
    Moving Coil Amp Albarry MCA 11
    Pre-amplifier Albarry AP 11 (battery powered)
    Power amps Albarry M1108 Mono-blocs
    Speakers Allison 3 Corner units, Allison 6 stand mounted cubes
    Interconnects AVT Matrix 6 and OFC short ones
    Mains distribution Music Works Recoil 6 gang and mains leads
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    Speaker cable Chord Rumour (Cryo'd)
    RCM Okki Nokki
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586...homepage_panel

I'm Shane.

Simple-From my Dad!

S.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast