+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Jazz on Vinyl at your News Agent and Supermarket NOW !!!!

I'm brian.

I got mine today also.

I would like to lose the green sticker! I know...... its on the shrink wrap.... but I like to keep that in place.

Any ideas on how to remove this sticker from the shrink wrap, without damaging the shrink wrap. ?

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    I got mine today also.

I would like to lose the green sticker! I know...... its on the shrink wrap.... but I like to keep that in place.

Any ideas on how to remove this sticker from the shrink wrap, without damaging the shrink wrap. ?
    If the sticker is paper, paint it with spray furniture polish and allow it to soak through. That will soften the adhesive. You may need to do this a few times to loosen it properly before peeling it off very gently. It won't work on non-porous stickers.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Given this a punt via mail order. A couple of lads on Audio Talk have given the first issue a go, and report that it is a decent quality pressing with good sound, so worth a go methinks.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Richard.

I was a bit concerned when it was lying flat under the model mustang edition in a basket. But the pressing is perfect. Flat as a board, quiet as a church mouse. The recording is pure analogue bliss - warts n all. But for all the strain and analogue vintage, it is a lovely record. Somehow this sort of jazz sounds right for being vintage. I almost crave an occasional pop or crackle, but this pressing is silent as the night. I'll buy the next one and if it's this good subscribe. Even at £15 a pop this is just what I was looking for

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    I was a bit concerned when it was lying flat under the model mustang edition in a basket. But the pressing is perfect. Flat as a board, quiet as a church mouse. The recording is pure analogue bliss - warts n all. But for all the strain and analogue vintage, it is a lovely record. Somehow this sort of jazz sounds right for being vintage. I almost crave an occasional pop or crackle, but this pressing is silent as the night. I'll buy the next one and if it's this good subscribe. Even at £15 a pop this is just what I was looking for

That's good Richard.

I haven't got round to listening to mine, but a quick look impressed me, so I will probably buy a few of the future ones.
    Regards Neil

I'm Richard.

I've just had a naughty half hour lunch break and listened to the 2nd side of that again. I know it has a limited frequency response (so do my ears). In one or two spots are quite obvious distortion. And obviously limited dynamic range.

But it is SO much more real than any modern recording. A couple of glasses of scotch, lights down, bit of cigar smoke, and you are there. Really there. Maybe all the clues to what's real are in the "middle frequencies" - so the super duper high frequency stuff has no real affect. Maybe its colouration and live music is coloured the same way. I have plenty of new "vinyl" in good condition which we maybe think we prefer to CD, but at least enjoy the LP experience (I have a short attention span - 15 to 20 minutes before getting up to turn the record over is fine for me). But none of them sound real like this, or my old Joan Armatrading LP, or hundreds of pre-digital recordings.

What is it about analogue recording?

It's not the digital per se - its reminded me the latest Dave Migden and the Twisted Roots LP had that same "realness" although I have it only on a CD. But it was recorded and mixed all analogue in the studio.

If I shut my eyes listening to this I keep expecting someone to bump into me on their way back from the bar.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    What is it about analogue recording?

:
    Nothing. It is the way it is recorded that makes all the difference, not whether you store the resulting waveform on a hard drive or on magnetic tape.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jez.

It seems such a pity that this new wave of vinyl popularity seems to be getting served up on plastic platters of such shite turntables that you would not know if the source was vinyl, cassette, MP3 or whatever after it has gone through such music mangling garbage
    It seems to be a nostalgia novelty for those too young to actually remember vinyl IMHO.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Nothing. It is the way it is recorded that makes all the difference, not whether you store the resulting waveform on a hard drive or on magnetic tape.
    You must be right. But it doesn't always seem that way

I guess in part - in this case - it is the simplicity of the recording. It is very un-layered, almost a bit "left / right". Maybe its just "raw" compared to modern recording techniques.

But it breathes. And whilst it may well be you could take that and stick it on a CD and it would stay the same - it doesnt seem anybody records anything like that any more

There is an illusion of reality. And its a Dynamo quality illusion - so in a way it ends up more real than real.

I guess , going back to my original point about dynamic range and frequency response - the important bits of what make a recording real seem to be in the "Middle" -and not dependent on straining the performance limits of equipment.

If I can find a spare copy, and I certainly had some, I'll send you "Animal and Man" and then let you give me that answer again. (But even that feels a touch "digital" compared with this LP)

I'm Martin.

I agree I don't think it is anything to do with the frequncey response of the recording either. And rawness is right. They were not smothering the recording with all manner of processing. Just record the takes, plus they knew how to get the abslute best out of what they had.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast