+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Member looking for info and guidance, plus anything music wise

I'm DENNIS.

Lightbulb New Member looking for info and guidance, plus anything music wise

Hi everyone, I just joined because I have changed my methodology somewhat with regard to all things music and hi-fi equipment wise. For years I have been trying to obtain a good hi-fi system, mainly buying used equipment - off-loading all my vinyl and concentrating on CD's. I have now given up the idea of having loudspeakers because my family cannot tolerate the "noise" - so I'm heading down the quality headphones route and am playing around with headphone amplifiers and DACS. I find this latter process very difficult because headphones are literally on your head and not sat a few metres away from the listener. Also, there's a lot of controversial info and recommendations being thrown around - and without being unkind some people are throwing a lot of money at portability and MP3 and then swearing blind that their equipment is unbeatable, albeit expensive. They have never heard a quality hi-fi system and have not heard a FLAC file via a quality system. I have, but I don't have a lot of money to throw around and can't afford several costly mistakes. So, I'm going to sell off my speakers and some other stuff then concentrate on a decent headphone system (not portable) with the intention of my being the one and only listener within earshot - so to speak. I have masses of CD's with a smattering of Classical, Blues, Jazz and Folk etc. etc. etc. If I were to be condemned to a desert island I would take my Blues CD's and a selection of Classical, maybe a few modern Popular CD's too. So, I need comfortable audiophile quality headphones that I can wear for a couple of hours per day without sweating buckets and that won't make me deaf into the bargain. Yes, I like Bass and Treble - but the midrange has to be spot on and the music must be smooth as silk, with a good soundstage. And no, I cannot afford esoteric designs. And, yes I don't mind buying someone else's cast offs. It's all about the music isn't it? Me, I'm 70 years young and have been dabbling for 50 years. I have a PC with some music files on board, along with some YouTube videos and I can burn a disc or two with ease. I'm very open minded and easy to get along with. I do listen to other people and especially those with "the knowledge and the experience", in particular those people blessed with the ability to beg, borrow equipment - trial it and report their findings honestly and intelligently. I have Peter Green's autograph but missed out on Gary Moore's. I miss Roy Buchanan and Stevie Ray Vaughan but am happy that Buddy Guy has yet to retire. I do like what Ronnie Earle does for a living and dare I say that Ana Popovitch not only looks good but CAN PLAY a mean Blues. Amen.

I'm Martin.

Hi Dennis, welcome to the forum

I'm not a fan of headphones but plenty here are so I am sure they will come up with some models worth trying. Also don't forget that if you buy them mail order you will be able to send them back within 14 days if they don't suit you.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Rob.

Hi Dennis, welcome to the loony bin

I used to listen almost entirely on headphones when I was a teenager and you couldn't beat the Sennheiser yellow padded things that had drivers about the size of a large mint (peppermint) and weighed as much as a feather. Don't think you can get then anymore. I have about 6 or 7 pairs of h/phones, and the only ones that sound great and you don't really know you are wearing are Grado SR60's. Obviously there are better models in the Grado range, depends on your pocket.

I have been in this lark about 50 years and having just written above about my listening habits as a teenager may explain why my hearing is a little compromised
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Geoff.

Hello Dennis. Welcome to AOS.

Headphones are popular here. Many members have headphone only systems.

I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here and much to chat about.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

Hi Dennis

Welcome to the forum although I've not been around here a great deal longer than you.

I have also found my time spent increasingly listening to music through headphones since my first child (recently joined by a second) was born. I have gone through several headphone amps and literally dozens of pairs of headphones over the last few years. That includes dynamic headphones up to the AKG701 and Sennheiser HD580/600/650 (all at one point or another), electrostatics including the original stax lamdas and gammas and Koss ESP9 and most recently planar magnetic a including the Hifiman HE-500 and Fostex TH500RP. I now wholeheartedly recommend the last type if funds permit, and I haven't looked back since getting them.

If you are in/near London Im happy to give you a demo of the various types of both amp and phones and you could see which direction you prefer. Sorry I don't know if Thompson is a place name or where it might be.

Regards, Lawrence

I'm Grant.

Welcome Dennis. Nice to hear you still get a cick out of the blues. I take it thompson is in Norfolk? nyways hope you enjoy the forum
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread