+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Roll Call ! Scalford Hall Wig Wam show Exhibiters

I'm gone.

The show had its usual amazingly positive vibe.
    The Park & Ride scheme went off without a hitch as far as I could ascertain.
    The 2 main charity schemes raised £2,900 for the mental health charity Mind, which was the Show's designated charity, and over £1,700 for Cancer Research UK. Over £4,600 total. I think that's great.

A very wide choice of systems. Horns were on the up (as it were) with some fairly astonishing configurations.
    Ultimate gold-plated bling in the SME arm and tt demmed by James / Jampal. You'd have hated it, Marco.
    I had a shared dem room, so didn't get out much, but from a quick and fairly arbitrary whisk around some rooms, my own fave was a system with refurbed (and much updated) Quad II amps and matching pre - JBL L40 speakers were sounding wonderfully fine at the delivery end. I can't recall the source.

Shame you weren't there, Marco - I did look out for you!
    Last edited by jandl100; 21-03-2016 at 14:35.

I'm gordan.

haha, i was horrified with a look of that golden SME thing. i would imagine it to sit in a living room of vladimir putin!
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    .. my own fave was a system with refurbed (and much updated) Quad II amps and matching pre - JBL L90 speakers were sounding wonderfully fine at the delivery end. I can't recall the source.
    One of my favourites also...as for the source, that was rather intriguing.

Thorens TD 160 Super, with a Philips ceramic cartridge.

Audioflyer of this parish was the man in charge and it all sounded rather wonderful.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...dge-NOS-1970-s

I'm gone.

Well! - Ceramic, eh? - £37.50 del from Musonic.
    I couldn't miss out on trying that! The system sounded fab. Ordered me one.

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nice one, Jerry. Looks like some nice systems there! How was the show in general, then? Any surprises, sound wise? I missed it due to family commitments.

Marco.
    That's a better excuse than mine. I missed it due to apathy.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Well! - Ceramic, eh? - £37.50 del from Musonic.
    I couldn't miss out on trying that! The system sounded fab. Ordered me one.
    Linky please to the specific cartridge in question?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Sharif.

I'll post some more details and photos of my set-up.

I was in room 209 and thank you to all who pop in and said hello.

Sadly the TD160 Super with RB300 did not make it due to a last miniute broken cartidge lead.

So the Phonosophie No3 with Thorens TP90 arm was use instead.

The Philips (GP390) low output ceramic cartridge was last made in 1968 for me it the finest cartridge I've ever heard. It output is only 1mV and was design to work in a standard 47K MM riaa stage.

Riaa preamp was a High Octane Riaa phonostage (DIYAudio)

Quad II's with regulated power supplies.

Modified Quad 22 preamp.

1987 JBL L40 speakers restored a week and a half before the show!

Speaker stands built a week before the show.

And to top it all a £6.00 optical 24 bit 96k dac used with my Marantz cd63 KI II.

Sharif

Hi Sharif,

Most interesting...

First of all, where did you buy the cartridge from, and secondly, isn't there a lack of gain with the output being so low?

Normal output from an MM cartridge is around 4-5mV, which for me is about right. I couldn't imagine using something that only kicks out fraction of that, without having to severely crank up the volume control, thus introducing other issues that would be less than ideal, namely the partnering preamp 'running out of steam', as it were (on low-level recordings), or is there some way of boosting things to compensate?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Sharif.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Sharif,

Most interesting...

First of all, where did you buy the cartridge from, and secondly, isn't there a lack of gain with the output being so low?

Normal output from an MM cartridge is around 4-5mV, which for me is about right. I couldn't imagine using something that only kicks out fraction of that, without having to severely crank up the volume control, thus introducing other issues that would be less than ideal, namely the partnering preamp 'running out of steam', as it were (on low-level recordings), or is there some way of boosting things to compensate?

Marco.
    Hi Marco.

The Philips GP390 cartridge was from Musonic (UK) Limited.

The 1mV output was to some German Din standard used by Philips at the time I think under normal riaa standard it is 5mV.

Sharif.

Thanks for that. I see that Musonic no longer sell the cartridge in question.

So how do you address the gain situation?

I'm sure you'll agree, that dropping from 5mV to 1mV is rather significant. I'm not sure that's something I could live with. It's a different thing with low-output MCs, because one would always ensure that the partnering phono stage (and/or head amp, SUT) had the required [often adjustable] gain to cope, but most MM stages have fixed gain.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast