+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Roll Call ! Scalford Hall Wig Wam show Exhibiters

I'm Sharif.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Ah, I see. It's rather misleading/confusing then referring to it as a 1mV design... All that matters ultimately is what comes out at the end. Anyway, cool

Marco.
    Hi Marco.

I should have type output/velocity:-

The GP390 has a 5mV output at 5cm/s at standard velocity sorry for the confusion I created.

Sharif.

I'm Sharif.

Default Scalford Hall Room 209

I had hope to take my Thorens TD160 Super with a RB300 but when installing the cartridge the lead broken off as it enter the arm. Instead I had to use my Phonosophie No3 with a Thorens TP90 arm, fitted with the Philips GP390 ceramic cartridge,

The High Octane Riaa Phonostage (DIY audio) was a diy build using a new take on the standard multi feedback three transistor designs from the 60 & 70's it features an improve output buffer with a fet constant current source and a shut regulated supply.

My Quad II's main amplifier stage has not be change, in 1985 I replace the GZ32 with a regulated supply this transformed the sound without any downside. My regulator design will also work with a GZ34 as the HT capacitor was a type that limited the in rush current as used in may old valve/transistor CRT tv's.

With regards to my Quad 22 this was redesign as a line only stage by removing about a metre of wire from the signal path. The Quad ECC83's circuit was retained and a mosfet follower added powered by a separate PSU.

Both of the JBL L40 speakers were in a bad state.

One of the damage tweeters dome dismantled from the magnet assembly.

A bit of tickling with a clutch pencil to carefully push out the dome.

Tweeters ready to be reassembled and tested.

The new foam surrounds from AudioFreinds in the Netherlands.

Woofer cleaned up and ready for reforming.

Woofers finally finish.

The cabinet damage were repaired and re-oiled a week before the show.

On monday before the show I manage to get the birch ply cut and build the speaker stands.

This is what it look like on the day in room 209.

Again thank you to all who came in and had a chat and a listen.

Sharif
    Last edited by Barry; 22-03-2016 at 00:40. Reason: Link to first photograph repaired

I'm Geoff.

Nice job on the JBL L40 speakers. They are exceptional. I remember these having excellent reviews. A friend had a pair and I thought they sounded very fine.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Sharif.

Default £6 DAC!

Just one other thing I've forgot to mention did anybody here get to listen to my £6 optical input DAC?
    Everybody who heard it had commented how good it sounded connected to my Mrantz cd63 KI II cd player.

Sharif.

I'm Sharif.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Nice job on the JBL L40 speakers. They are exceptional. I remember these having excellent reviews. A friend had a pair and I thought they sounded very fine.
    In the late 70's several of my friends had these and I always wanted a pair.
    This pair were rescued by me I had to travel to Leeds as they were destined for the skip the following day.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioflyer View Post
    In the late 70's several of my friends had these and I always wanted a pair.
    This pair were rescued by me I had to travel to Leeds as they were destined for the skip the following day.
    Smart move. They are rare now and one of JBLs best compact speakers. I'm generally a Tannoy fan, but the L40 is certainly a speaker I'd like to use on my system.

Just a thought. The last minor 'ripples' remaining in the doped fabric tweeter domes may come out if you use a hairdryer on lowish settings to warm the diaphragm up as you 'massage' them back into shape.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm gone.

Amazing work on the JBLs, Sharif. They, and the whole system, sounded fantastic at Scalford on Sunday. Of those systems that I heard (not that many, due to time constraints) it was my vote for Best Sound at Show.

I'm Steve.

I had a great day at Scalford. Here's a link to a short piece i wrote on my website with some lovely piccies Click here... http://theprogmeister.com/hi-fi-wig-...th-march-2016/

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyddroid View Post
    I had a great day at Scalford. Here's a link to a short piece i wrote on my website with some lovely piccies Click here... http://theprogmeister.com/hi-fi-wig-...th-march-2016/
    Hey - I had no idea that was you taking the pic of me collapsed against the wall! .... you should have introduced yourself, Steve.

I'm James.

Superb job on the JBL's and a great looking system. Nice to know these speakers can be bought back from beyond the grave.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678