+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Whats you top three Fav Vintage recievers?

I'm ChrisB.

I'm listening to this Yamaha today & every day (among other things).
    So big it drips over the edges of the Target TT2.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Simply gorgeous, Chris! For me, the top Yamahas from the 70s had a class and sophistication all of their own

I'm having a Ron Smith Galaxy aerial fitted to the roof on Monday to supply the Sony. It sounds bloody brilliant now with just one of those naff ribbon indoor jobbies, so I can't wait to hear how it performs on the end of a proper aerial!

Marco.

P.S I'd lose that cheapo mains block you're using at the side, though... Them be nasty 'tings!
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    P.S I'd lose that cheapo mains block you're using at the side, though... Them be nasty 'tings!
    If they are BSI approved, they are not. It costs in excess of £10K to get one of them designed and approved for use in the UK. Some of the home brews I have seen audio stuff attached to wouldn't pass BSI testing and safety assurance.

The reason I mention any of this is because my good friend Russell Shore designed a number of these mains extension blocks, which were subsequently copied left right and center over the last 15 odd years. Russell and me were going to design a couple of AV specific electrical items after his planned early retirement next year. Unfortunately he was diagnosed in August as being terminally ill and unlikely to make it next Easter. An unsung hero, who during the period of 1995 to about 2002 designed a range of mains sockets, switches, and extension blocks that were sold or used in more than 25% of all retail shops or newly installed electrical wiring installations. Don't be fooled by the looks. Quality is 2nd to none.

Maybe I was wrong, Stan, but it just looks like a cheapo Maplins/B&Q job to me, which in my experience kill the sound - the ones with neon lights too are the worst.

It's no big deal really, as Chris was probably only using it for convenience due to a shortage of mains sockets near where his kit is

Everyone knows my views on this subject - the best mains block is no mains block (hard-wire everything and use a dedicated spur), but if a mains block must be used then try and use one that's been specifically designed for hi-fi purposes, which has top quality sockets, internal wiring, mains flex and plug as part of the design.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Simply gorgeous, Chris! For me, the top Yamahas from the 70s had a class and sophistication all of their own

I'm having a Ron Smith Galaxy aerial fitted to the roof on Monday to supply the Sony. It sounds bloody brilliant now with just one of those naff ribbon indoor jobbies, so I can't wait to hear how it performs on the end of a proper aerial!

Marco.

Hey Marco...well done on getting a Ron Smith. Is it new?
    Bloody big though... mine is loft mounted..and is a massive attic, but fills up a big chunk of it. Big difference to the signal strenth though. I'd had two other aerials fitted to the chimney, but the signal strength from the galaxy in the attic is much much better.

I'm Nobody.

I have one of these, i just rewired it in Belden fully sheilded/foiled mains cable with drain wire & Mk silver pin toughplug..

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/resource...1/olsonmdb.jpg

I'm ChrisB.

Actually, this photo was taken just after we'd moved into this house. That was the stop-gap system, thrown together in 5 minutes. I don't expect I could even find that gang of four to check what it was.

The receiver, however, cost less than £80 including postage.
    What do a second-hand Nad 3020 & a reasonable budget tuner go for?
    I know which I'd prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
    Hey Marco...well done on getting a Ron Smith. Is it new?
    Bloody big though... mine is loft mounted..and is a massive attic, but fills up a big chunk of it. Big difference to the signal strenth though. I'd had two other aerials fitted to the chimney, but the signal strength from the galaxy in the attic is much much better.
    Hi Steve,

No it's not new - I had it left over from when I moved down from Glasgow but had never got round to assembling it and having it fitted.

Yes it is bloody huge; in fact I'm not sure if it's going to be too big for the chimney we have, or indeed just liable to look rather too out of place on our period house... We shall see how it goes

If it doesn't work out I'll get something else that's more practical, but as good as possible.

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    I have one of these, i just rewired it in Belden fully sheilded/foiled mains cable with drain wire & Mk silver pin toughplug..

http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/resource...1/olsonmdb.jpg
    Nice one, Andre - that's just the ticket

A good mains block needn't cost a fortune; in fact if you know what you're doing you can build your own. The secret, as usual, is to use good quality parts, and to take care with the assembly.

Marco.
    Main System

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

If you live close enough to a transmitter you really dont NEED a Galaxie (Ron's words, as he did all our installations when I worked in London and Harpenden, as well as the bigger Northampton ones).

The Galaxie tends to "point" at the transmitter and if you want to pick up all sorts, you really need a rotator. The Orion 8 and 9 are more than sufficient for most decent tuners. It was only the insensitive and initially not very selective Naim 01 that *needed* an aerial with high degrees of sideband rejection to prevent "birdies" on the sound...

I hope someone takes over Ron's aerial business when he finally does retire (he's got to be in his late seventies now at least). His aerials are amazingly good IMO, but don't think you HAVE to have a Galaxie jobbie in the UK, 'cos you don't "really" unless you're in a dreadful reception area (I have an insensitive Quad FM3 in use at the moment and i dare not tell you the crud on our chimney which still works fine though.......)
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast