+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pre Amp Blues...

I never said they were wrong.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

It's just that Mick hasn't heard the best of them by comparison with his fave brand!

Have you arranged to visit Ash & Mart yet? No, I thought not.........
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

Shaun,
    The only sure way to know if the 8000Q is better than your passive Creek is to hear it in your system. As an Audiolab dealer for many years, I am not certain it will be.

Another option for you to consider is the Croft new basic pre at £350, Shit styling but stunning sound and a great MM phono stage thrown in. Well worth a listen.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Aquapiranha, my DIY skills are virtually non existant even though I do fully understand that I would get a much superior product that way. Unfortunately I have only 350 quid to spend which is why I questioned spending it in the first place. I questioned whether or not an Audiolab 8000Q ACTIVE would be better than a Creek OBH-22 PASSIVE. Both preamps cost around 300 pounds but of course the casework of the 8000Q would match my 8000M's.

The input impedence of the 8000M monoblocks means that a passive preamp can be used with no loss of treble and as they have a 1V input sensitivity they can be used with most other devices without any preamplification. I love the weight of these power amps and I love the sheer slam and 'welly' of the sound. For what they cost now they are a true bargain however mine were at the old price. C' Est La Vie I guess.
    hi Shaun, fair comment about the DIY aspect - it is always hard wielding a soldering iron for the first time! as to the cost, you would be looking at £100 tops, including a very nice case. The LDR is simple and uses few components.

Or, you could buy a pre-assembled one like this..

for about £150 from here...

http://diyparadise.com/shop/index.ph...&reviews_id=19
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123