+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Hifi setup position... front, side or back?

I'm Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    I don't think position matters much for sound other than that I try for a turntable to be on a shelf on a solid wall. PT is pretty unfussed though. Since my 2 channel doubles as home cinema the centre position is out, and it's a wall to one side.
    I don't think long speaker cables are a problem either, but having finally shelled out for an ahb2 of my own, which is tiny, noise immune runs cool and has balanced connections, I might put the power amp on the AV stand when we move to France and keep short tidy speaker cables.
    The problem my set-up creates is the long run from the AV amp low level outputs to the 2 channel amp, the satellite ground, and the need to power 2 channel from a different socket to the AV gear. And keep noise out of the system. It needed monster chassis ground connections, until I used high quality signal transformers - an idea pinched from recording studios (I haven't yet encountered anyone else using them domestically)
    You bought the AHB2?

As for the original question, I have had the rack on a side wall, off to one side next to the speaker, and now in between the speakers. It has made no noticeable difference at my usual listening levels. Therefore I go for whatever suits my room the best.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    You bought the AHB2?
    Technically I have irrevocably committed to the purchase. I haven't quite parted with the funds, nor taken delivery - both expected next week. It's not the sort of thing that's easy to give back once you've had it. It is so invisible.

And "safe". I tripped all the protection circuitry last week hum-busting. I like a bit of protection!

I am working out a story for why I can afford it when the bloody exchange rate has taken a nose dive - something along the lines of "tempting fate" and other superstition. Anyway - she's had her duvet and duvet cover set...

I'm Neil.

Placing anything between the plane of the speakers, level with them or in front of them, will affect the ability of the speakers to create a convincing soundstage. If the equipment is on the floor, or well behind the speakers less so, but nothing between is best.

Yes interconnect and speaker cable lengths are important, but up to 5 or 6 m speaker cables of a quality cable is usually not a big deal, unless the amp speaker synergy is off.

That's been my audio lifetimes experience todate, avoid putting anything between the speakers.
    Regards Neil

I'm Grant.

All my gubbins goes between the speakers and always has... Think in most houses thats going to be the only option.. It already takes up 1 whole wall. The gubbins are not out enough to affect what comes out of thespeakers imo.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Placing anything between the plane of the speakers, level with them or in front of them, will affect the ability of the speakers to create a convincing soundstage. If the equipment is on the floor, or well behind the speakers less so, but nothing between is best.
    Genuine question here. I'd always assumed that the stereo image was formed 'in the head' so, theoretically, you could have an acoustically inert divider all the way from a mid point between the speakers and your noggin and it would make little difference. I get that there can be diffraction between the speakers and this is undesirable, but I can't see how kit in-between can cause too much of an upset when it's the signals coming at us from the cones (and principally the tweeter) that build the stereo image in our mind? Am I being too simple/thick/missing something?
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P View Post
    Genuine question here. I'd always assumed that the stereo image was formed 'in the head' so, theoretically, you could have an acoustically inert divider all the way from a mid point between the speakers and your noggin and it would make little difference. I get that there can be diffraction between the speakers and this is undesirable, but I can't see how kit in-between can cause too much of an upset when it's the signals coming at us from the cones (and principally the tweeter) that build the stereo image in our mind? Am I being too simple/thick/missing something?
    I don't think that is correct. A pair of speakers is not a pair of headphones, and the imaging you get with headphones is quite different from speakers. Your left ear hears some of the right speaker as well as the left speaker and your right ear hears both too, and that is all part of the image.

Certainly "stuff in the room" can affect the sound. There used to be a lot of fuss at dems about removing speakers not being auditioned at one time - which is a bit of a joke in my place with the AV speakers, a spare set of Ventricals in the corner, and the TV itself. I have never particularly noticed or concerned myself about things between the speakers - but maybe I'll have a bit of a play when I have a decent living room in France

In my case the Quads need to be pulled as far into the room as I can manage to image - and that is going to apply even with nothing between them. By contrast, the Ventricals worked better, and imaged better, nearer the rear wall (and therefore with the TV between them). But the Ventricals, whilst they make a good fist of it, can't image like the Quads.

I'm Dave.

Having set up countless systems in various rooms, I can confirm that 'gubbins' between the speakers does mess with the stereo image, particularly the centre image. If the speakers are far forward, it isn't so much of a problem but 'gubbins' level with the speakers or slightly forward is a no, no.

For confirmation, sling a duvet over the 'gubbins' and hear how the images and sound stage improve.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    You bought the AHB2?
    Oh bugger. Now I've paid for it

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    Oh bugger. Now I've paid for it
    lol.. you daftee!

...whats an AHB2?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Josie.

With my setup I have a fireplace in the middle of the room so it's quite difficult to get everything in there as it's not very big.

I have thought of doing this but my turntable would have to be on a side wall somewhere. I suppose that's the end of that unless someone can reassure me know if a 3m run from my TT would be ok...
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast