+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Hifi setup position... front, side or back?

I'm Josie.

Default Best Hifi setup position... front, side or back?

Hi all.

Where do you find the best place is for your kit?

Quite a few have it centrally between the speakers but is there another position which you favor?

Having it central for me is a bit of a pain, so I have mine along the side wall which works but with that longer speaker cables are required. So is there a 'best' position for hifi?

Ta
    Jo
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Andrew.

Central for me. Altough I now have both system sitting centrally previously I had one to the left side (valve) and the solid state straight in front of me.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm James.

Side wall adjacent to the speakers with 4m speaker cables. Turntable is well isolated.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm jamie.

mine is side wall about 3 meters away from speakers although i have been thinking of putting the rack in between them,do you think my tt will suffer from being so close?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Alan.

I dare say it's room dependent really, with my system on the left wall of the room, I lay the needle on a still record to test feedback, I turned up the volume slowly until that woooooo sound came on, that happenned at about a 1/4 volume.

I put my system in between my speakers and repeated the test, I honestly thought it would be immediately worse, but, NO, I could turn the volume way past my loud listening position before it started to feedback.

I now have my system in a log cabin inbetween the speakers and it sounds great to me.

Enjoy your music

cheers Al
    My system,

Cartridges Lyra Delos, Audio Technica AT33EVmc, AT 24 mm
    Turntable Thorens TD 124 Mk2, in a Jim Campbel plinth,Audio Technica 1503 Mk3 arm
    CD player Technics SL-PG490
    Cassette deck Yamaha KX 530
    Moving Coil Amp Albarry MCA 11
    Pre-amplifier Albarry AP 11 (battery powered)
    Power amps Albarry M1108 Mono-blocs
    Speakers Allison 3 Corner units, Allison 6 stand mounted cubes
    Interconnects AVT Matrix 6 and OFC short ones
    Mains distribution Music Works Recoil 6 gang and mains leads
    Tables MusicWorks ReVo acrylic stand, Quadraspire Acrylic shelves (cryo'd legs) acrylic Response Mini under mains block.
    Speaker cable Chord Rumour (Cryo'd)
    RCM Okki Nokki
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1586...homepage_panel

I'm openingabottleofwine.

My system places the power amplifiers (they are monoblocks) directly behind each speaker, so minimising speaker cable length. The power amplifiers have balanced-line inputs and are connected by equal length (20m) balanced line cables to the preamplifier (which has balanced outputs).

The preamp, CD player, tuner and TT are located near my listening position, 5m from the speakers. The TT is situated on a brick extension to the fireplace and fortunately I don't have any problems with acoustic feedback.
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi all.

Where do you find the best place is for your kit?

Quite a few have it centrally between the speakers but is there another position which you favor?

Having it central for me is a bit of a pain, so I have mine along the side wall which works but with that longer speaker cables are required. So is there a 'best' position for hifi?

Ta
    Jo
    Best option I feel.
    Regards Neil

I'm Jez.

Other than keeping the TT as far as possible from speakers, and making sure it's well isolated on a wall shelf... it makes no difference.
    Putting the TT in another room with cables through a direct conduit twixt walls even better of course. Not for those who find the lack of a remote control a problem already

danilo Guest

Cable lengths.. both in Interconnects And speaker feed wires is Important.
    Shorter always being the 'better' solution.
    Plan/position your gear accordingly.

I'm Richard.

I don't think position matters much for sound other than that I try for a turntable to be on a shelf on a solid wall. PT is pretty unfussed though. Since my 2 channel doubles as home cinema the centre position is out, and it's a wall to one side.
    I don't think long speaker cables are a problem either, but having finally shelled out for an ahb2 of my own, which is tiny, noise immune runs cool and has balanced connections, I might put the power amp on the AV stand when we move to France and keep short tidy speaker cables.
    The problem my set-up creates is the long run from the AV amp low level outputs to the 2 channel amp, the satellite ground, and the need to power 2 channel from a different socket to the AV gear. And keep noise out of the system. It needed monster chassis ground connections, until I used high quality signal transformers - an idea pinched from recording studios (I haven't yet encountered anyone else using them domestically)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast