+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Best Hifi setup position... front, side or back?

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P View Post
    Yes, I can see that now - propagation between ears from either speaker, as it were. I guess the purest form of this would be in an anechoic chamber, as you would truly hear the output and nothing else - so reflections and diffraction would be minimised or eliminated. I wonder though how much of our perception of depth in soundstage is due to these reflections?

I asked the original question because we recently re-arranged our room, and it's made the room a far nicer, more practical place to be - at the expense of the positioning of the speakers, which are either side of a large table now, and not symmetrical in the room. I thought it would destroy the imaging, but it's made far, far less of a difference than I expected - which surprised me.
    You wouldn't want an anechoic chamber - it would just totally kill the sound. You definitely need reflected sound to give the music some life.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Neil.

It seems silly to test a speaker in such an environment. Get a speaker that measures well in a chamber into a room and watch an Alpine landscape appear on the response curves.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234