+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: VU Meters

My integrated amp and my power amp got VU meters. I even did a knock-up of a VU meter assembly for the Caiman and Capella from a kit I found on eBay. I was thinking of getting a piece of perspex from eBay and mount the VU meters on it. It might look nice with some multi coloured LEDs at the side.

danilo Guest

0.jpg
    I like this man's "dial'
    Although it's a temp Gauge on his/this DIY A amp build

I'm Dave.

Remembered this thread today. Thought a pic of my completed AMB linestage would be appropriate:

and this one taken with the turntable before it had any gubbins in it.

The interior build for those interested. Note I replaced the white LED illumination on the VU meters with proper bulbs:

Currently Listening On:

Turntable: Garrard 301 (solid chassis rebuild), SMD reference plinth
    Arm: Audio Origami PU7 (12")
    Cartridge: Van den Hul Black Beauty
    Phono: Whest PS30RDT
    Preamp: Scratch built AMB a24/LCDuino/d1/d2, fully balanced
    Power amp: Transcendent 15W "Son Of Beast" OTL with upgraded Takman/Mills/ClarityCap MR/Jensen components in signal path
    Loudspeakers: Steve Cresswell's old Metronomes

I'm Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by Thermionic Idler View Post
    Remembered this thread today. Thought a pic of my completed AMB linestage would be
    Damn that’s pretty, nice job....

I'm Graham.

I can't imagine what the purpose of a VU meter is, on a power amp. Watt meters, yes, but VU? I was brought up on VU meters on the mixing desks. They are totally natural to me if they are driven and calibrated correctly with a -6db lag. When Philips introduced their "light beam meters" they were a revelation but difficult to get used to. They comprised a very tiny coil to which was attached a very small and lightweight surface-silvered mirror (I mean tiny - maybe 3mm square.) The mirror reflected the beam from an optically focussed light source onto the back of a frosted glass oriented vertically, which was marked with the sound level decibel calibration marks. From -60 to 0db to +6db. Between zero and +3db the glass was orange and between +3db and +6db it was red. This was in the mid 1980's. There was a switch marked "VU Levels / Peak Levels" which, in the VU position applied a -6db weighting so that the indicated levels equated to what a VU meter would show. Another 15 years down the line and meters became LEDs arranged in a vertical column. No moving parts at all.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Geoff.

But they add to the cost, so you pay more. They are something else to go wrong and they serve no useful purpose.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    But they add to the cost, so you pay more. They are something else to go wrong and they serve no useful purpose.
    Chocolate teapots come to mind......
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Adrian.

They make biasing a breeze on the ref 75 as well as looking quite nice.
    Technics SP10 mk2
    Jan Allaerts MC 1 Boron mk1 cart
    Miyajima Shilabe cart
    Hashimoto HM-X SUT
    Siggwan (gimballed not unipivot) Cocobola 12"
    Aurorasound Vida LCR Phonostage
    The Truth linestage
    Dave Slagle Autoformer Volume Controller
    Cary 805c SET amps
    Audio Note ANe-SPX speakers
    Townshend Isolda speaker cables
    Cardas Golden Presence interconnects

I'm Dennis.

I was brought up on PPMs, (Seen on TV, white needle on black background, 0 -7 range), which the BBC design Dept. at Kingswood Warren developed, and which became the universal broadcasting standard for many years. VUs were derided by BBC staff, but that was a group think (bonding) thing, most professional music studios using VUs..

It has a specially designed balistically fast movement, and a circuit which held the fed voltage to it for long enough for the meter to respond to. The effect of this was weird - a delay between hearing a loud peak and seeing it, but it worked as a limit for tape saturation and transmitter overload. The I/P was deliberately filtered to prevent any peaks less than 2 mS form reaching it because research found that the ear could not hear it.

I have a stereo Ernest Turner one (worth £400) to build up for my studio later this year, and I will remove the I/P limit capacitor to get all peaks.
    Last edited by Pharos; 27-02-2018 at 09:45.

I'm Ben.

Pretty flashing lights...

Mac Mini > RME ADI-2 DAC > Hypex Ncore monoblocks > ATC SCM-11 speakers & C1 subwoofer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast