+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: anyone using ikea lack tables for hifi

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio Al View Post
    I had one and it fell to pieces thats how I know they are hollow and have folded cardboard inside
    Poor man's Aerolam. The honeycombe construction makes them light and rigid. They are strong under compression but will crumple and rip with lateral pressure.

Geoff

I'm Simon.

Well there is a lot of weight on my 6 tier lack rack and it's been standing since late 2014 now...

I've seen a video where somebody is standing on the honeycomb insides showing its strength. I reckon there is near 60kg on mine in total. However I have filled the hollow legs with solid beech wood blocks so each corner is stable.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    Well there is a lot of weight on my 6 tier lack rack and it's been standing since late 2014 now...

I've seen a video where somebody is standing on the honeycomb insides showing its strength. I reckon there is near 60kg on mine in total. However I have filled the hollow legs with solid beech wood blocks so each corner is stable.
    I speak from experience. I had someone trip and hit a Lack table sideways on. The legs just sheared away even though the person did not completely fall over. It was enough to rip four great holes in the top where the legs screwed in. That is why I just used the tops.

Geoff

I'm Mike.

When I had the matching Pre amp to my power amp here as seen in the photo above I reckon total weight on both tables would be around 80-90kg.

I'm Mike.

It's funny how many of us are using Ikea for HiFi furniture, i use the Besta https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...-spr-29061229/ basically made out of the same stuff as the Lack i think, but it's modular in that you buy the legs (which are solid and height adjustable) separate as well as the shelves and doors if you want them, i got mine off ebay for a fiver

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345