+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Why Do I Like My New Speakers ?

I'm Paul.

Yeah, just enjoy them. The Rega's I heard at Scalford sounded really good in the smallish room they were in. They obviously don't seem too fussy about those things.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by twickers View Post
    Yeah, just enjoy them. The Rega's I heard at Scalford sounded really good in the smallish room they were in. They obviously don't seem too fussy about those things.
    Thanks Paul... Yes I will just enjoy them and stop wondering .. I'd be interested in what Rega's you heard at Scalford if you know
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Paul.

Not exactly sure. I know that they were powered by a Bryston B60 amp and a Sony ES dvd player. It was HoopsOnToast system. Check this link HERE for piccies.
    Go to post five and scroll down a bit ' till you get to the Regas (the one with the big white lamp in the middle).

Quote Originally Posted by twickers View Post
    Not exactly sure. I know that they were powered by a Bryston B60 amp and a Sony ES dvd player. It was HoopsOnToast system. Check this link HERE for piccies.
    Go to post five and scroll down a bit ' till you get to the Regas (the one with the big white lamp in the middle).
    I believe they are the Rega Transmission line R9's... so way up the range in Rega speakers...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I believe they are the Rega Transmission line R9's... so way up the range in Rega speakers...
    Makes sense on the end of a 2k amp I suppose.

I'm Gary.

Bev,
    I owned a set of RS3's for a few years and absolutely loved them.
    Know EXACTLY what you mean about them sounding "just right"...they just play music and (to me) are very much NOT hifi sounding, in fact kinda the opposite.

They just play music in an open, engaging and honest way.
    If your a bass freak and have a room the size of the Albert Hall I'd look elsewhere, but in an average living room they are superb.
    Their big brothers the 5's have a similar sound, just a bit more bass.
    Would have happily lived with the RS3's, and had to go quite a bit higher up the spendy tree to get a noticable improvement.

Enjoy your speakers Bev, they are crackers.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 17-01-2016 at 10:34.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Bev,
    I owned a set of RS3's for a few years and absolutely loved them.
    Know EXACTLY what you mean about them sounding "just right"...they just play music and (to me) are very much NOT hifi sounding, in fact kinda the opposite.

They just play music in an open, engaging and honest way.
    If your a bass freak and have a room the size of the Albert Hall I'd look elsewhere, but in an average living room they are superb.
    Their big brothers the 5's have a similar sound, just a bit more bass.
    Would have happily lived with the RS3's, and had to go quite a bit higher up the spendy tree to get a noticable improvement.

Enjoy your speakers Bev, they are crackers.
    Thanks Gazjam... I really am enjoying them... I'd be interested in what you replaced the RS3's with..

I guess I should put the Tannoy's back in the system and then report back on my thoughts... ... I will do this sometime....
    Bev

I'm Steve.

I think you may like them because they are so bloody good at making music and just sitting nicely in your system.

I'm Attila.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Hi Attila, I'm glad you think the same as me about the RS3's but sorry that yours have driver problems. Are they repairable? I would have thought Rega would hold some stock of the drivers. I also have owned loads of different speakers over the years, including some AN's but I can't remember if they were J's or K's and although I loved them in the room I heard them in they did not work in my room at all and I sold them very quickly indeed

As you say in MY room with my system the RS3's seem very happy and what they really excel at is musical involvement so I'm a happy bunny
    hi Bev, I'm a bit late in responding but thanks for your sympathy anyway - and I'm, at the same time, happy to announce that my RS3s work as they should again with an array of a complete new drivers set by the help of TAD, Rega's German partner company
    Attila

save the trees - eat beavers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345