+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Kept Secrets?

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    I thought it'd be intriguing to hear what 'people thought were hi-fi's best kept secrets? What's the collective wisdom on 'the next big thing', or the old stuff that's due a second chance?

Lenco turntables used to be unjustly overlooked, but they have had a revival in recent years and the prices are starting to rise (especially for the Garrard-a-like 88 and 99 armless models).

Quad amplifiers punch above their weight, and are often under-valued on the second hand market. I am extremely pleased with mine. And they have a lot of potential for improvement in small increments.

I'd be interested in what you all have to say on the subject... goo'ahn, don't be shy!
    I would add the Sugden Connoisseur, because while weak at both extremes, if properly tuned, it has a midrange with more PRAT than I have heard from any other decks. That and anything by Richard Hay.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundhaspriority View Post
    I would add the Sugden Connoisseur, because while weak at both extremes, if properly tuned, it has a midrange with more PRAT than I have heard from any other decks. That and anything by Richard Hay.
    It is a real shame to ask this question, seeing as someone does not have the right of reply, but here goes.

What tuning is recommended for this deck ?

Chris

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    It is a real shame to ask this question, seeing as someone does not have the right of reply, but here goes.

What tuning is recommended for this deck ?

Chris
    Out of the Connoisseur decks i think i'd opt for the Connoisseur 'Craftsman' Motor unit.
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 21-10-2009 at 11:55. Reason: Mistake

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Out of the Connoisseur decks i think i'd opt for the Connoisseur 'Classic' Motor unit.
    Thanks André - I 'cede to your superior knowledge of this deck. I was thinking more along the lines of more "out there" tweaks.

Chris

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Thanks André - I 'cede to your superior knowledge of this deck. I was thinking more along the lines of more "out there" tweaks.

Chris
    Sorry Chris my mistake meant to say 'Craftsman' not 'Classic'.. Decks like 'BD-2' have intergral arms like the Goldring 'GL-75' etc etc, not much hope really..BD-2 for example has motor mounting issues, Technical & General, London used to sort you out will all things A.R.Sugden especially the motor rubber mounts, but i don't know if they are still active..Read an article once where an italian guy totally remodled a 'BD-2' with outboard motor!

btw A.R & J.E wernt the same Sugden company
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 23-03-2010 at 03:20.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

We took Ferrograph back on right at the end of the Super 7 era and we did have some F307 amps as well as the speakers, which looked identical to the S1, except for a different coloured stripey grille cloth perhaps? Our engineers knew the series 7 models as apparently, you often had to take the things apart from the rear forwards to change the speed selector mounted on the front...

From what you say above, I suspect this was a short-lived project that never went into proper production. A shame the Logic 7 didn't stay around longer. I liked this deck very much.....

We also had the restyled amps and tuner and I have a faulty tuner in the loft from this era. The bigger amp wasn't at all bad but felt cheap and nasty compared with its far eastern competition. We also had NEAL as well and the decks were very good, if "clunky."

TTFN

D
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nobody.

Hi Dave thanks for that..
    I'm guessing it was a 'S1.2' The 'S1' i know had Kef units/Audax units, but roumers are their was Goodmans units involved somwhere, maybe this ties in with this 'S2' model you mention..Nothing defined in text books about it tho.

btw the last Ferro machine was the 'Studio 8' wasnt a Ferro machine it was a sub contracted machine badged up complete with enormous price tag of a few grand...As you mentioned the amps The 20+20(F208) & even worse 60+60 (F308) asthetically matched the Studio 8..The odball was the STFM1 Tuner.

Out of all the Ferro products the F307 Mk.1/2, the Super 7 (75) & the beautiful 'Logic 7' open reels..Are my favs...The Super 7 though was technically a standard Series 7 with new body & 10.5" reels.
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 21-10-2009 at 12:44. Reason: Spellin

I'm Guy.

Adam Smith (the Hifi World reviewer) played a pair of S1's at the Scalford Pie-Fi show earlier this year. They weren't my cup of tea but were generally well received from what I remember.

Last edited by pure sound; 21-10-2009 at 13:12.

I'm Nobody.

Actually the only reason i was gonna go to that chesterfields bake off was to listern to beomans 'S1' no other reason..I heard people like them aswell.

I'm Guy.

I'd perhaps have liked to have heard them with an amp other than a Nait5 or whatever it was he used.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast