+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes To The Donkey Stable System

I'm Andy.

Default Changes To The Donkey Stable System

Hi Guys

Been absent for a while, mainly due to new work commitments. Been doing 10Hr shifts, 6 days a week. To make matters more difficult there is an Outage at the plant for 7 weeks soon and will be working more hours then. The upside is I can make up some of my wage loss during this time, and what I have been spending too. Only really had time to glance through the forum and not contribute much at all.

Not sure how I have found the time but have been making some changes to both my main 2 channel system and AV system. Had some great improvements with both.

AV system first, have added a second sub into the system and boy what a change for the better, fantastic LF effects and has seemed to even up the overall balance of the sound.

The next part is a combination of AV and 2Channel. I originally used Usher 520 speakers for front and rear, have acquired a pair of Usher 6381’s for use in the system, original intended for main AV Front use. After some thought made a decision to use my Usher 8571’s for both AV front and 2 channels (i/p switched at the power amp) and use the 6381’s for rear use. This would then allow me to remove the 520’s and give the whole front space to just one pair of speakers.

Wow, what an improvement in sound on the 2 channel system. The bass depth has become much stronger and musical, with what appears to be a more even response across the whole lower frequency range. They now produce a deeper more open sound stage with, greater overall HF extension and plays in what I can only describe is ‘in a far easier manner’. Can’t believe they have come on this well, as I was most definitely pleased with them previously. I think the improvements have come from removing the 520’s from next to the big Ushers which is allowing them to disperse the sound in a more even manner and lets the LF flow well.

On the AV front, just ask my detached neighbours, they enjoyed Pink Floyd Pulse just as much as I did. Just as my Chinese supper was being delivered PF were finishing of Comfortably Numb - IIRC. The ending explosions made the delivery guy look over his shoulder and say the local Lifeboat had been called out with the bang of the flares going off, he wouldn’t believe me what I said it was my AV system.

Photo’s below, there could be one more change, but will keep that a secret until I know it will be coming off.

It’s good to be back posting again, hope you enjoyed above, though things will be a bit slow again until late December, hopefully then I will get back into the swing of things.

Andy- SDDW
    HV Electrical Engineer - SAF (Sustainable Aviation Fuel) Plant

I'm Nick.

Flippin' eck, Andy, that is some serious speakerage. The Ushers do look like beautiful speakers! You are a very lucky man being able to enjoy that system!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

'Ere guv'nor, wot's the clock on the mantle-piece? Looks like a striker or chimer to me...

P.S. System looks grand..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nick.

... 'Ere guv'nor, wot's the choc on the mantle-piece? Looks like a couple of Terry's Chocolate Orange to me
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Andy.

Hi Guys

I must admit I have been very lucky with my recent buys, with respect to the speakers. I know I'm in fortunate position but it sounds great and I'm enjoying it at every chance I get.

Dave the clock is a Striker not sure when it dates from though. Thought you would have picked me up on the Partington Dreadnaught stand supporting the reading lamp .

Andy - SDDW

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    ... 'Ere guv'nor, wot's the choc on the mantle-piece? Looks like a couple of Terry's Chocolate Orange to me
    There were 2 of them, sad to report both long since gone

Andy - SDDW

I'm Neil.

Hi Andy

You have a nice room, and system. I would love to have a room layout like yours.

Nice to have you back.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm notAlone.

I can almost imagine the wonderful sound coming out of this setup, just by looking at the room and speakers. These rear speakers !
    Btw, what's the center speaker ?

Your impressions about the second sub makes me wonder whether I should perhaps invest a bit on that...
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm Andy.

Hi Dimitri

The Center speaker is an Usher 520. Doing a very good job considering it is lower down the food chain than the rest, to be honest I thought I would have to change it but having listened to it now for a couple of weeks or so, I think it will be staying put.

Have a couple of Usher 520 speakers (sheilded type) coming up for sale soon.

Andy - SDDW

I'm ILOB.

Hi Andy Good to have you back Nice system
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast