View Poll Results: How do you rate this album?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1/10

0 0%
  • 2/10

0 0%
  • 3/10

0 0%
  • 4/10

0 0%
  • 5/10

0 0%
  • 6/10

1 8.33%
  • 7/10

3 25.00%
  • 8/10

4 33.33%
  • 9/10

3 25.00%
  • 10/10

1 8.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Album Club, January 2016: Jackie Leven - 'Creatures of Light and Darkness'

I'm Barry.

Very good album , it loses its edge a few songs in and becomes a bit smooth for me , never the less 8/10.

I'm Rich.

It didn't inspire nor repulse. So a 6 from me

I do feel I should give it another listen so it's saved as a playlist.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Martin.

I've listened to it 3 times now and really cannot make my mind up regarding the whole album.
    Some tracks I like, some I am indifferent to.
    Some strange phasing (reverb / echo / or some effect) on a couple of tracks which was strange. 7/10.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by high.spirits View Post
    I've listened to it 3 times now and really cannot make my mind up regarding the whole album.
    Some tracks I like, some I am indifferent to.
    Some strange phasing (reverb / echo / or some effect) on a couple of tracks which was strange. 7/10.
    Odd - what tracks did you hear the reverb/phasing on? Be interested to know...
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P View Post
    Odd - what tracks did you hear the reverb/phasing on? Be interested to know...
    It may be the way I have heard his voice, but track 3 The Sexual Loneliness of Jesus Christ was most noticeable and some on track 4.
    GyroDec 2M Black, Amplification: Luxman 505ux.
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth HL-K6

Quad 99 CD, Amplifier: Teac A H 500i, Loudspeakers: SCM11

Receiver: Teac CR H500, Loudspeakers: B&W CDM 1NT

I'm Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by high.spirits View Post
    It may be the way I have heard his voice, but track 3 The Sexual Loneliness of Jesus Christ was most noticeable and some on track 4.
    Ahh no, that's just the way he's singing on that. Quite a vocal technique - he's done it on a few tracks of his on other albums too.
    ----------------------
    Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do - you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Wavy grooves go thru a RigB 540ML on an SL1500C. Digits stream from a cheapie CDP and a Sonos, into a Yamaha 803D driving Kralk Audio little 'uns. I used to have a Linn but I'm better now.

I'm Dave.

I've long been a Jackie Leven fan since I first heard a track on a Cooking Vinyl sampler in the 90's. Since then I bought a good few of his albums including this one, which I'm giving a strong 8/10.

My personal favourite is The Mystery Of Love Is Greater Than The Mystery Of Death . Unfortunately the fates conspired on several occasions and I never did manage to get to see him live, but I did buy a live CD of his called The Wanderer which gives you a good taste of the Jackie Leven experience, jokes and bad language included.
    I like everything really. From the britpop bands like UB40 right back to classic rock, like Wings. They're only the band the Beatles could have been.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

This is what I love about the Album Club, not only are you reminded of artist(e)s you already know, but are introduced to new ones.

I hadn't heard of Jackie Leven before, but on listening I will be investigating more of his material. Some of it is a little 'dark' for my taste but thank you for suggesting it as an Album Club choice.

8/10 from me.

Good one Jason!
    Barry

I'm Jason.

Glad you liked it Barry. I agree he does veer in to some dark territory, but that in a funny way is what I love about him - unafraid to document all the human condition, warts and all. Then he'll pull out something staggeringly beautiful, like this:

----------------------

I'm Ken.

I was introduced to this artist recently and wondered why I hadn't heard of him, as he is very prolific.
    Some of his lyrics are very amusing, like him a lot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123