+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old speakers - less distortion?

I'm Alan.

Default Old speakers - less distortion?

Here's a query aimed primarily at Paul.

Given a well used set of speakers/drive units, with the suspension and spider components well past any 'new' stiffness, is there likely to be less distortion from said units than when they were new?
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Shaun.

Trying to keep to subject here, I have often wondered about how loudspeakers change their sound over time. My current KEF Q500's were brand new in 2013 and took about nine months to sound totally free and relaxed. I wonder how they may change over the next ten years or so.

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Here's a query aimed primarily at Paul.

Given a well used set of speakers/drive units, with the suspension and spider components well past any 'new' stiffness, is there likely to be less distortion from said units than when they were new?
    Hi Alan

it's not possible to offer general advice on distortion as there are so many variables involved, not least of which is the drive unit spec and cab/crossover design in the first place. However, as drive units age, and depending on the material used for the magnets, several issues to crop up to varying degrees.

Firstly, as suspension, and in some cases, surrounds become more compliant, the T-S parameters for the speakers will in fact change, so tuning points or the speaker Q (for sealed boxes) may well alter. This may not necessarily result in increased distortion on its own, but in some cases, power response or efficiency can be reduced from what is optimum. Magnets which use ALNiCO in particular can have changes to BL force factor due to weakening of magnetic strength which can occur as a result of over-driving (ie too much power driving them), knocks or lots of temperature variations and this can in some cases result in increased distortion but magnets can be sent off for re-energising to bring up to as good as new performance. The other issue is that variations can occur between drive units throwing speaker matching out.

Where Tannoys are concerned, I usually advise that for HPDs in particular, they are reconed rather than refoamed as this ensures that they are restored to a matched pair, and that suspension and Fs are restored to factory spec, or close enough to it. Depends how fussy people want to be and some aren't too worried as long as things sound ok, so little point in them pursuing real or perceived in those cases.

With some speakers having a high value for Qms (mechanical Q), this usually indicates the amount of control, openess and dymanics a drive unit may exhibit, and is purely a function of things like mechanical suspension control and control offered by the surrounds. It is a measure or an indicator anyway of how much energy might be stored. Drivers with high values for Qms tend to have fewer losses. As suspension wears so losses increase, and performance and efficiency can decrease. However, speaker drive units with high BL values, tend to have powerful motors which can control their cones better, so slight loss of suspension efficiency may impact less in those cases....or so you might think. I have measured 30 year old drive units with very high BL values which have still exhibited a loss or drop in Fs of 10 Hz or more due to the effects of suspension softening altering free air resonance but I suspect that some magnet strength loss may have also been a factor. You can also have issue with over driving of increased hysteresis depending on magnet material, strength and power applied.

It really does depend entirely on the driver design, cabinet design, loading, and variation from factory spec. In general though, speakers do start to drift from optimal design values from around a few hundred hours on new although the rate of drift is usually very low/slow and takles may years.

If they sound ok, then chances are they are ok, but for any loudspeaker used and abused over several decades, drive unit suspension will have softened up and depending on the design, crossovers may also require attention. The latter can be very economical to address and my own findings are that older crossovers are the main culprits for increased distortion, which is easily heard and easily measured (I have the test gear here to test drive units).

By using speakers with crossovers which have either dried up electrolytics in them, or loose hand wound inductors, distortion can be appreciable but easily remedied.

danilo Guest

Small addendum :-)
    Ferrite Magnets Lose Flux over time.. Starting to be measurable by their 5th Birthday and absolutely by their 10th.
    Simple nature of the material.
    Is this a problem?
    Dunno, but it certainly was/is in motors requiring precision where deviations are quickly recognised.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by danilo View Post
    Ferrite Magnets Lose Flux over time.. Starting to be measurable by their 5th Birthday and absolutely by their 10th.
    It was my understanding that Ferrite magnets were pretty stable and that magnet alloys like Alnico lost flux more readily. Not sure where we stand with Neodumium items though.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

danilo Guest

Unfortunately that information is inaccurate /reversed.
    Alnico has a projected/estimated Flux stability/Half life of 2 millenia !
    Longer than we needs concern ourselves with.
    Albeit a small setting down of alnico's magnetic domains occurs in the first day or two following initial Magnetisation.
    Also has a Currie point ~ 850 C In case house fires are a concern :-)
    Stable flux in Spades. Some myths claim that alnico needs 'a remag' periodically.
    Ain't so in real life, despite babbles to the contrary.
    But stories persist, misinformation is ubiquitous in our culture.. no news there
    Ferrite flux losses are measurable..replicably so.. by it's 10 th Bday. Again; no news there either.
    Ferrite Does generate a shaper edged Bass /impact sound though.
    Alnico softens a bit on those transients as the domains deform under mag loads.. and quickly reform.

All this is researchable.. but best to limit such efforts to Magnetic materials suppliers, or ideally Magnetic materials research areas..
    Not Audio sources

I'm Geoff.

That's not exactly what it says here:

http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/co...n-Handbook.pdf
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Alnico's can and do go down, and can be rejuvenated. Never had any others do this in same way. Nicest sounding speakers Ive heard if made well.

My Telefunken ones are suublime
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Alnico's can and do go down, and can be rejuvenated. Never had any others do this in same way. Nicest sounding speakers Ive heard if made well.

My Telefunken ones are suublime
    Agreed Grant. Some of the finest 'speakers I've heard have used ALNiCo magnets. Tannoy went over to ceramic and more efficient magnets but have since reverted back to ALNiCo. Some of the sweetest sounding mid and HF drivers I've used have also had ALNiCo magnets.

I'm Shane.

Presumably all this apply to cartridges as well?
    Time flies like an arrow.
    Fruit flies like a banana.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast