+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEED HELP: vintage Michell speaker terminals!

I'm drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    As I recall, these are meant to be used as adaptors, enabling thick speaker cable to be inserted into the spring clips on various Japanese amps.

The speaker/amp terminals had a larger diameter thread and came with nuts and washers to secure.
    I think you are thinking of the Mitchell banana plugs.

I'm Dave.

It's Michell and no I wasn't.

The plugs in the OP are, clearly, different to the standard 'banana' plugs and were intended to be used as a connector for the small diameter spring loaded speaker terminals found on Japanese amps.

I'm Gone.

A lot of Japanese speakers and amps had screw terminals back in the day. These were to repalce the screw and give the user the ability to use decent cables, which were just comingh out in those days. I used these of JVC Zero series speakers and others in the past.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStewart View Post
    A lot of Japanese speakers and amps had screw terminals back in the day. These were to repalce the screw and give the user the ability to use decent cables, which were just comingh out in those days. I used these of JVC Zero series speakers and others in the past.
    Ah. That makes sense! Pretty obvious when you think about it, although I'd not seen them before.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Andrew.

Reply from info@michell-engineering.co.uk:
    Good Morning Andrew,

Thanks for your e.mail, sorry for delay in replying.

What you have are actually a style of banana plug rather than a true speaker terminal. They are intended for use with the sprung loaded speaker connections that you see on some smaller speakers. The thin end fits into the sprung loaded hole, this then allows connection of a larger speaker cable in through the cross hole held in place with the threaded cap.

Hope all is clear.

Regards

Steve Rowland.
    Dave was right
    Last edited by matador; 17-01-2016 at 03:33.
    Michell Orbe with Moerch DP-6 Gold Precision > Shure Ultra 500 / London Jubilee / Miyajima Kansui > Croft RIAA R / Miyajima ETR-800P / Audion The Converter DAC > Audion Premier 2.0 > Audion Golden Night 300B/PX25 & Audio Black Shadow 845 > Audio Nirvana 15" Classic Alnico with Tannoy ST200.

I'm Gone.

Sorry to say this bur Steve Rowland was not connected with Michell at the time these came out, I'm not sure if he had been born As I said, I got these from John Michell for use as replacements for the small button type screw terminals used on many Japanese amps and speakers at the time. IIRC I purchased about 20 pairs fro m the company so we could use higher quality, hevier gauge cables at shows. The thin end of these is threaded toallow them to be screwed in, which would not be needed, if they just had to go into spring clips. They were used with spring clips too.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStewart View Post
    Sorry to say this bur Steve Rowland was not connected with Michell at the time these came out, I'm not sure if he had been born As I said, I got these from John Michell for use as replacements for the small button type screw terminals used on many Japanese amps and speakers at the time. IIRC I purchased about 20 pairs fro m the company so we could use higher quality, hevier gauge cables at shows. The thin end of these is threaded toallow them to be screwed in, which would not be needed, if they just had to go into spring clips. They were used with spring clips too.
    Hello Mr. Stewart!
    Thank you for additional info!
    Regards, Andrew.
    Michell Orbe with Moerch DP-6 Gold Precision > Shure Ultra 500 / London Jubilee / Miyajima Kansui > Croft RIAA R / Miyajima ETR-800P / Audion The Converter DAC > Audion Premier 2.0 > Audion Golden Night 300B/PX25 & Audio Black Shadow 845 > Audio Nirvana 15" Classic Alnico with Tannoy ST200.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12