+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sme 309 vsV

I'm Doruk.

Default Sme 309 vsV

Hi
    Ok its not a new topic, there are some discussions about this but spec of 309 changed (not sure about the year) with different bearing and single magnesium arm tube so ı really wonder the opinions of the members who experienced both arms especially he newer recent spec ones.

Does V deserves the double price of 309 really? Are we speaking about tiny differences or something serious?

Other common point is the tonearm cables of smes. Does changing the cables (inner and phono cables) of 309 closes the gap between V?
    Considering to spend the difference on better cart and phono stage as well.
    Confused about the choice so your support really appreciated.

I'm Mike.

It's an interesting subject that i've also contemplated.
    I used to have a Thorens TD2035 with an SME 309 (Mk II, magnesium one-piece arm tube) which really opened up my eyes for high performance vinyl playback a few years back. I liked the convenience of removeable headshells as i even then had a few carts to play with. I do remember it was complicated to fit a DL-103 to these headshells due to the rather long body of those.

I sold the TT for some stupid reason though, but it didnt take long before i started another vinyl playback journey that landed me a Michell Orbe SE. I used it for a while with my Audio Origami TRB250 and was very pleased with the outcome of that. I was really bent on another SME though and also started a thread here on what SME to choose for the Orbe. Most experienced users gave the similar input, the difference is slight but obvious if your other kit is up to the task.
    For me, the search ended in an SME V, almost brand new, demo-ex from a dealer. I have had good experience with the silicon trough and a slight damping of the low compliance carts i use now and then.

Just recently i bought a Nordost Tyr tonearm cable that was a bit of a gamble as i have never heard the differences compared to the original Van DenHul Cable. The difference was obvious and after a few days i'd rather swap the arm for a 309 than than change the cable back to original.

+ Reply to Thread