+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So I did this to my Shure SC35C

I'm Allthatwasisorwillbe.

Excellent stuff dave and most interesting! Been a big fan of the SC35C,which i've used for a good few years now! Think i'll give this a go as i have a couple of them!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    TECHNICS 1200 MKII_JELCO 750D_SHURE SC35C (with NOS and NEO SAS styli)
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO
    PARADIGM REFERENCE ACTIVE/40'S
    PARADIGM SERVO 15 SUBWOOFER X 2

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Dave.

It's worth the effort, and really, it wasn't all that much effort. The whole process including clearing off the table, setting up, and taking pictures of everything took thirty about minutes. The trickiest parts are getting the exacto knife between the body and the shell and getting the right amount of epoxy in the body. I initially put in a little too much but was able to scoop a little back out without any issue.

I only mounted this cart because I didn't want to mess up one of my moving coils when I was trying to mount and set up the new arm. After a few weeks, I realized I needed to keep this cart in my regular rotation. Then I ran across this body on his website while I was looking at DL-103 bodies and figured I might as well give it a go.
    Current equipment: Cornscalas - Quicksilver Horn Monos - Technics 1210 M5G with Zu Denon 103R cartride and Haufe SUT.

Well iv'e taken the plunge and ordered one of these body's. Hopefully i don't mess it up fitting it but it does look fairly easy to do! If it improves on the stock body,as Dave has found,then i think i'll be very happy as i think this cart is excellent as it is!

Might even try a Jico SAS for it as well while i'm at it
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

''The theory of relativity is a mass of error and deceptive ideas violently opposed to the teachings of great men of science of the past and even to common sense''

I'm Dave.

Darren,

It's still mounted to my table and I'm still enjoying it. I have two other carts here that I want to try out (Shure M55E and Technics EPC-270C II) but things are sounding so good right now that I hate to mess with anything.

Post some pictures here after you do the mod!
    Current equipment: Cornscalas - Quicksilver Horn Monos - Technics 1210 M5G with Zu Denon 103R cartride and Haufe SUT.

I've only ever used a few carts in my life for hifi use.A Goldring G800,which was good but need to source a nos needle for it,not played it for a long time now.Also have a Audio Technica ATP-2 which i intially quite liked but think after extended listening wasn't so enthused about it,might try it again though as i can't remember what it sounds like! The most modern one i've had was a Nagoaka MP110,which was good but not quite what i was looking for!

Since i've had the SC35C,i haven't worried about finding another cart quite as much.I'd be interested in your views on the differences between the M55E and SC35C though as they appear to have similiar triats from what i can gather!
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

Couple of pics of the re-bodied Shure SC35C.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

I'm Dave.

Looks great Darren!

How is it sounding?

Hi Dave,

Only played a couple of records,but so far so good. There is greater seperation of instruments and greater definition,improving the soundstage i have found.Also i can pick out smaller details more easily,so maybe noisefloor has improved??

All in all,from what i can tell so far,it's been definitley worth the somewhat bit of hassle i've had fitting it
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

I'm Dave.

Better imaging and greater instrument detail (especially the bass instruments) was something I noticed too. I thought the soundstage got larger too.

Definitely worth the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by dmckean View Post
    Better imaging and greater instrument detail (especially the bass instruments) was something I noticed too. I thought the soundstage got larger too.

Definitely worth the hassle.
    I'd agree with that. There is greater detail across the frequency range! With well recorded music it does sound exceptional imo. I listen to alot of bass driven music and the non modified Shure is perfect for that but with the mod bass is now even more taut and seems to go deeper but does it without slowing the music down! Midrange sounds stunning,being more open and vivid. Whilst the top end has a bit more delicacy and sweetness! It just plays music in a more engaging way,whether the music requires delicacy and is more intimate or is driving bass lines and drums at a frantic pace it does either rather well imo. Safe to say I'm well pleased with the results.
    Darren

KORUS CUSTOM SERVER
    CAIMAN SEG + DORADO PSU
    CROFT MEGA MICRO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast