+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So I did this to my Shure SC35C

I'm Dave.

Cool So I did this to my Shure SC35C

I've been really enjoying the SC35C on my new arm over the last few weeks so I mounted the internal body in a new aluminium shell.

Here's the process:

First get everything you need laid out.

Here's the SC35C next to the new body.

Remove the stylus.

Then you use an Exacto knife to pry internal body out of the cheap plastic shell.

Keep twisting until it pops loose.

Here's the empty plastic shell next to the internal body.

The new body gets taped off with painters tape. The plastic body has the cartridge sit at an angle. Four little pieces of lead shot are used to keep the correct cartridge angle.

Then you mix the epoxy and scoop some into the body. I didn't get an pictures of this part because you need to work fast but here's a picture from the seller's Ebay page.

Next you carefully place the body in the new shell.

After 24 hours of the epoxy curing you end up with something like this.

I quite like the results. I get more focus and a wider, deeper soundstage while still keeping all the things I like about this cart (bass authority, midrange clarity and it handles beat up records with ease). Removing the plastic shell also opens of the the choices of stylus for this cart, you're no longer limited to just those that fit the SC35C/M35X/M78S/N44GX body and can use options for the V15V as well.
    Last edited by dmckean; 28-12-2015 at 23:45.
    Current equipment: Cornscalas - Quicksilver Horn Monos - Technics 1210 M5G with Zu Denon 103R cartride and Haufe SUT.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Great stuff, Dave. I'm also a fan of the SC35C, and have one of the original 'Made in USA' ones (with NOS stylus), before Shure moved their production to Mexico, and quality suffered. They sound superb, just as you described: a great 'boogie' cartridge for rock, pop and dance music.

The BBC used them for broadcasting purposes in their Radio 1 stations, during the 70s. What are you tracking yours at? I shunned the OTT 3-4g thing, set mine at 2g, and it sounds superb at that, tracking securely, too

Love the new body-shell. Is it a modified one for a DL-103? Also, could you provide a link please to the ebay seller?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dave.

Thanks Marco,

I'm tracking mine a little over 2.5 grams. It seems to do just great at that setting. 4-5 grams was probably only for broadcasters so records didn't skip on the air.

Here's a link to the ebay listing.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/181965427250
    Current equipment: Cornscalas - Quicksilver Horn Monos - Technics 1210 M5G with Zu Denon 103R cartride and Haufe SUT.

Excellent, Dave. I can see myself getting one of those! I agree with the broadcasting VTF thing. Lowering it, for domestic use, also opens up the top end, I find

Honestly, some of those old Shure cartridges, properly mounted on quality arms and T/Ts would frighten the life out of some so-called 'high-end' cartridges produced these days!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Dave.

This most recent experience with it has shown me how much a quality arm makes a difference. It sounds amazing now.

My USA made SC35C is on my best friend's Pioneer table and that’s probably where it will stay. It's pretty impossible to replace now since Herb Reichert's review in Stereophile.

I'm Gone.

Thanks for that Dave, I'vejust ordered 2 of them I also have a NOS M-75ED I think will Benefit from a new body.....

Quote Originally Posted by dmckean View Post
    My USA made SC35C is on my best friend's Pioneer table and that’s probably where it will stay. It's pretty impossible to replace now since Herb Reichert's review in Stereophile.
    Cool... Got a link to that review? I'd like to read it

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Cool... Got a link to that review? I'd like to read it
    http://www.stereophile.com/content/g...lIDSlFqtVQt.97

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStewart View Post
    Thanks for that Dave, I've just ordered 2 of them I also have a NOS M-75ED I think will Benefit from a new body.....
    I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Most interesting!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast